Dell System Recovery Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, Jan 21, 2010.

1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd suggest posting in the latitude subforum for this issue.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

2. DR_ADH

DR_ADH Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello
    I'm not sure if you will see this as it's very old, but I will give it a go.
    I got a virus on my dell studio 15. I want to do a clean install, but when I follow these steps, when I select partition 3, the primary, a message box appears saying that it will keep the old windows in a folder called Windows.old. Ideally I don't want any old software left on my computer, have you any idea what I can do about this? I am not that savvy on this kind of stuff btw!
    thanks very much
    Adam

3. DR_ADH

DR_ADH Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again
    I've just seen that there is an option to format (I think I clicked onto advanced). Might this be the way forward?
    thanks
    Adam

4. booboo12

Reputations:
    Proceed with the restore. When Windows is up and running again, browse to the windows.old folder using Windows Explorer, check it for any files you forgot to backup, then delete it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

5. DR_ADH

DR_ADH Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Richard

thanks v much for responding, much appreciated. I didnt get chance to do a back up, as I really didnt know how to deal with the virus, so am gonna have to rely on the one I did couple months back on my spare HD. I'm wary of going into the windows.old folder, as might the virus still be in some files there? This is probably a really dumb question so apologies, but I just want to make sure I don't get it back like that? Is there any way of knowing? I use the mcafee from my internet provider, yet still got the virus(it called itself a trojan) which is rather disappointing.
    thanks again
    Adam

6. booboo12

Reputations:
    Yup. Dell isn't doing discs anymore, at least standard. I'm glad they'll ship a DVD for free, hopefully it'll be like it was years ago when this guide was written: just plain vanilla windows and a separate drivers DVD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Susan Regan

Susan Regan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great information for Dell system recovery, this is very useful information sheared .

8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, so apparently Dell has gone down a different road now for Windows 10. I'm getting an Inspiron 13 next week, but I'm switching out the HDD for an SSD I have. Completely to my surprise, Dell now hosts a "Dell customized version of Windows 10" that includes:

• Updated patches that address common issues for Dell systems.
    • Dell support information.
    So, now I'm in a dilemma. Install Microsoft's vanilla Windows 10 image or use this customized image. The Dell doesn't include bloatware, as far as I can tell, but I'm curious what these "updated patches" are. Are these, then, not just the typical Windows updates?

And, do we know....does restoring the image align SSDs? I've always heard that it's better to actually let Windows install itself properly because during the formatting process, it aligns the SSD.

EDIT:

Err, we can just check, actually. Has anyone used the custom Dell Windows 10 image on an SSD? Did it align the 4KB pages properly? You can check by doing this:

[​IMG]

booboo12 likes this.
  9. booboo12

Reputations:
    Dude, thanks for updating this for Windows 10. It's been ages since Thomas and I have been in the thread to update for even Windows 8.

Interesting that they're just hosting a image that you can download....

10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sure, no worries. I just checked: all the partitions are properly aligned with 4096 bytes / 4KB, so you will get the full SSD performance! It's an image, but not an "installed" image. It's just like the Microsoft image, which was a good surprise: it runs you through the Win10 installation procedure instead of just dumping you onto a desktop with no way to configure partitions if you had wanted to.

Yeah, I was surprised, too. But, it does run a few checks whether it's being installed on a Dell system: first, the service tag to even access the page and that service tag must show a Dell product that was sold with Windows 10. Then, the actual file is downloaded through a service and not through the traditional browser download. Then, when you first boot from the USB drive, it goes through a Dell update procedure.

And, maybe this is specific to my laptop, but it actually resets your BIOS, too! I had upgraded before the image, but after the image, I had been downgraded back! It turns out the recovery image has a "BIOS backup" option that is triggered to restore.

Bloatware was non-existent. You get nothing, which is great for "building up" your program lists instead of trying to tear down whatever Dell has inserted all over.

booboo12 likes this.