Dell System Recovery Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaiBo

TaiBo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I called Dell Canada today;

I was told clearly that my XPS 17 that is currently being shipped will come with some disks that include the OS Backup and also the Resource DVD.
    I then asked if I will be able to do a "Clean" install of the OS without the other bundled software and he told me that all I would need to do is NOT chose the Factory restore option.

Can someone that has their newer computer please confirm if this is indeed true?

Thanks

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it comes with a Resource DVD and the OS DVD, then you should be all set to do a clean install when the computer arrives.

3. truckinguy

truckinguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tried to do a clean install to like new when I first got it from Dell with no luck. Very hard and confusing. I got the installation DVD,Drivers and Utilities and 2 software DVD's that I paid for extra.
    After I installed Win7 I used the drivers cd and couldn't find the drivers for about 6 devices or so. No software for Office starter anyware.
    There might be a way to do it but I couldn't get it. Also there isn't a choice in advanced boot options either for a restore stored on the drive that I can find. Dell wants $140 to do this. I wish I had the money laying around I'm curious as how they would do this.
    There is a Dell recovery DVD maker and I'm curious as if this makes one DVD that in the future you can have a complete restore without haveing to load drivers,office,etc.
    I did have a image I had saved and used to pick up the pieces and get going again.

4. booboo12

Reputations:

You can use the Dell Recovery DVD maker to make DVD images....dunno if it'll work now though.

You can use the two disks they gave you to install. What drivers are missing, I might be able to help you find them.

5. ValkerieFire

ValkerieFire God Follower

Reputations:
    Can you access the recovery partition if you have deleted with orignal OS partition.

On my Asus G73, I upgraded to an SSD, and moved the original HDD to a storage HD. I formatted the windows partition but kept the recovery partition. Later when I wanted to sell the laptop, I removed the SSD, rebooted, hit F8, entered the recovery partition, and restored from there.

My Alienware isn't letting me do that. My recovery partition is intact, but I cannot get it to active, does anyone know how?

UPDATE: Called Alienware Tech support, they remote fixed my recovery partition. Strong work alienware!

6. sleepdragon

sleepdragon Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Latitude E6420 with a bad HDD, I have decided to get a SSD and now want to restore the pc to factory condition include recovery & diagnosic partition if possible..
    I have contacted Dell but the media they send me is the Win7 Reinstall & Resource DVD..
    I don't really want to do a clean install..Is it possible to request Dell PC Restore Recovery Media?

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    If you didn't make the recovery discs when it was brand new and working, there is no way to get back the recovery partition.

The only feasible way would be to find someone with the exact same configuration and hoping they created the recovery discs, for you to borrow them to use.

8. cacofonix-3

cacofonix-3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I owe a Dell All in One 2310 (not a notebook/netbook...)
    The fact is I want the original CDs/DVDs so I can make two partitions, one the OS and another the data.
    Dell DataSafe isn't the best solution...

9. booboo12

Reputations:
    It's not the best solution I agree, but unless one orders the separate os and driver disks while building the system, that's the best option out there for the majority of users.

10. cacofonix-3

cacofonix-3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's not for my needs.
    I have to format the system since some applications doesn't work well, even after recovery with Data Safe.
    However, I want two partitions, one for the OS and one for all my movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.