Dell System Recovery Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanLionheart

DanLionheart Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah he meant out of the box.

2. vordigan

vordigan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @booboo12 AWESOME GUIDE !!!

However i have a small query. I might have missed out some points from your excellent guide, still.. I got my new dell studio 1558 core-i7 last week. I want to install ubuntu on it and remove all the three partitions on my laptop that are present right now. I have made 2 sets(just in case) of PC recovery discs using the dell datasafe local backup. Now the thing i want to know is that..if i use these discs(considering the recovery partition is deleted while installing linux) to restore my laptop to factory state.. will these discs recreate all the three partitions? i mean the first boot partition(133 m), the recovery partition(9.88 gb) and the rest OS partition.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

thanks..

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks for the complement.

The recovery partition and the Dell Diagnostics partition will be gone for good once you reformat the drive.

In any case, you can download Dell Diagnostics from the Dell support site, and since you burned the recovery discs, you dont need the recovery partition.

Hope this helps out and sorry for the late response!

Ricky

4. katychess

katychess Newbie

Reputations:
    hi there i ve just subscried myself here . i have a laptop dell i don t know witch type but after i give the datas i think it will be ok. my problem is not data recovery it s about my dvd cd rom . 3 days ago i watched Friends like 3 hours so and next day a put in again DVD and nothing i tried CD nothing ;by nothing i mean it didn t read eather CD or DVD . i know this isn t your subject forum but i would apreciate your help. my datas about this dvd and cd rom are PHILIPS CDRW /DVD SCB5265 and SCSI DVD ROM SCSI Cd rom device . im really new in laptop this isn t a new one but it has been a month now i have it from a gift and it worked ok the dvd rom and cd rom. this was the first time i had used very active the dvd rom for 3 hours and open and close by changing dvd s because i was watching Friends. something important also when dell starts i always here a noise from DVD but not since 3 days, interesting it shoes that it s working properly;
    thank you for reading and maybe you have solution too this embarising problem
    im a girl but i like better desktop then laptop and here im really new and so i saw your forum first and i said i write you first
    thank you by now
    Kate

5. vordigan

vordigan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm.. yes i get the fact that i do not need the recovery partition as i have created the recovery disc set. But still, you know, i just wanted to know whether those partitions will come back at their place once i restore my dell using the discs i made, considering a case where i want to sell the laptop to someone ;).
    Coz once i know this..i'll start off with all the experiments i have in queue (installing diff OS)

Thanks for the help man.. much appreciated !

6. luke123

luke123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting point. The same question arises when a new (larger) hard disk is installed and the recovery discs are used. Will the new drive has the same three partitions identical to those when the computer was brand new?

Has anyone tried restoration on a Dell using recovery discs made with DataSafe Local 2.0?

7. mattstl77

mattstl77 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got a new Dell 1558. I was under the impression that I would have gotten W7 disk along with the Drivers/Utilities disk. When I didn't get the W7 disk, I was pretty upset because I wanted to do a "clean" install of my laptop. After calling Dell Support and getting the lame excuse that they didn't ship the DVD because they wanted to conserve the environment, they told me that I can make back up disks through DateSafe. I was also able to get them to ship the OS DVD for free.

After burned two recovery dvds, I went to get a clean install. I was quite disappointed that it didn't get rid of all of the Dell crapware. Is there a way to get a completely Dell clean install using Datasafe Recovery Dvds? Thanks ahead of time.

8. anodize

anodize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why not just download W7 HP ISO and do a clean install yourself? Just add drivers and apps from Dell later on

OR

You could run some decrapfier and get rid of those unwanted programs.

9. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, because the Recovery DVD's created with DataSafe are an image of the drive as it came from Dell, there's no way to get a completely clean install using them, unlike when you use the OS DVD and Drivers disc.

You could run the PC Decrapfier after running the DataSafe Recovery DVD's to remove most if not all of the bloatware, however the install will never be as clean (thanks to left behind files from removing the bloatware) as a clean install.

Some people (admittedly newbies) aren't comfortable doing that. :p

10. luke123

luke123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi

Is it true that, when a clean Windows 7 install is done on a new Dell notebook, the MBR will be overwritten and the built-in diagnostics option (by virtue of a tiny unlabelled FAT16 partition at the front of the disk drive) in the pre-boot phase will cease to work?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.