Dell System Recovery Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr-mixalot

mr-mixalot Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No problem, glad it helped :)

3. coolguy20k6

coolguy20k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok one question ...

After receiving my Dell Studio 1558, I did a clean install of windows 7 Home premium 64 bit. I did not make a recovery disk for Dell factory restore. Later I partitioned my C drive. Now I've 2 partitions C & D. During all these procedures I did not touch the partition which have Dell factory restore.

Now I want to make a factory restore disk. Is it possible?

When I go to repair option in dell, the dell factory restore option is missing.

Any thoughts??

Regards ..

4. booboo12

Reputations:
    Chances are, even though you didn't touch the Dell Restore partition, the computer can no longer "see" it. This happens even if you can view it via Computer in Windows 7. The same issue happened to me with Windows Vista. (Dell uses tools that Microsoft makes available to create the recovery images..the same tool is used for Windows Vista and 7)

Even though you can make a DVD in Dell DataSafe 2.0, you should have gotten the following in your computer's box when you bought it:

A Dell Operating System DVD. (it could be in different colors like the example on page 1 of the guide, but will state that it's a Windows 7 disc)

A Dell Resource CD/DVD containing drivers for your hardware.

CD's/DVD's for most additional software that you ordered with your computer or a flyer in the box directing you to go to the My Dell Downloads website and register your machine.

If the OS DVD and Resource CD are missing, you can request them through Dell Online Chat or via a web form: https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Hope this helps out!

Ricky

5. coolguy20k6

coolguy20k6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Ricky.

Yes I got both Win7 CD and drivers CD. However this Win7 is for clean install which I did. I couldn't find Dell Datasafe local to make a DVD's. I am very happy with the clean install but just wanted to know if I can make a recovery disc once its been clean installed and partitioned.

Cheers

6. booboo12

Reputations:
    You can use a Windows 7 Backup tool to create a System Recovery disk that Windows creates on it's own based on your current Windows install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

7. booboo12

Reputations:
    The guide has been updated to reflect the changes to restoration media options that Dell made. (starting in late April, early May, you must create your own recovery disk from a image) I'd like to further refine this section, but since I don't have access to a system made in this time span it's fairly difficult to do so.

8. agusman

agusman when the going gets weird

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for this guide! its really helpful.

I'll be restoring my XPS soon, to get it ready for sale... Its a scary process, but there's no reason why something could go wrong, right? ;)

9. booboo12

Reputations:
    NP, the process is fairly straightforward. You should be fine! :D

10. TheDudeComputes

TheDudeComputes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks man - as I have just ordered my first dell (I've only had thinkpads for 10 years) I was wondering how to clean install to the Intel x25-m that is waiting on my desk. I don't make recovery disks anymore, I pull the hard drive and replace it with a SSD within hours of receiving a new laptop. Original drive sits on a shelf until it is time for ebay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.