Dell Studio 1557

Discussion in 'Dell' started by huntersvk, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebraminio

ebraminio Newbie

Reputations:
  2. ebraminio

ebraminio Newbie

Reputations:
  3. tipoo

tipoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Studio 1555. I upgraded it to Windows 8 and later Windows 8.1. I updated to the latest Synaptics touchpad driver from their website. The smooth scrolling and gestures are surprisingly nice for Windows, however every few hours and sometimes every few minutes the touchpad becomes nonresponsive, sometimes it comes back on its own, sometimes I have to kill the process with the keyboard or reset it to make it come back.

Anyone have this issue? Any fixes?

4. guibean

guibean Newbie

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  5. Aegison

Aegison Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share something I figured out recently to keep the fan noise down.

If you adjust the processor power management under the advanced power options to 99% it will disable Turbo Boost. My processor no longer boosts to 2.6 when just opening email or browsing the web. This has kept my fan from spiking to annoying levels when doing menial tasks.

Thanks.

And just wanted to add good work on the bios!

6. lewisisonfire

lewisisonfire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Back in December 13th of 2011 I underwent a painstaking mission to rectify a BSOD issue I had with my Dell 1557. With the help of many people on this forum and without doubt Kizwan, I tried everything to fix it. (Starting Post of my issues on Page 186 post number 1854)

I attempted the Copper shim modification: with success in lower temps.
    I ran Prime95: With no results.
    I ran MemTest86: With no results.
    I tested my Hard Drive: No issues found. I even replaced it. Still BSOD's.
    I replaced my Memory: Still had BSOD's.
    I reinstalled Windows 7 SEVERAL times: Still the same issue.
    I installed/reinstalled/clean reinstalled/let Windows install/let the manufacture install ALL possible combinations of Drivers: Still BSOD's.

For 4 YEARS I have persisted with this AWFUL machine. I have absolutely DESTROYED it!

In fact I doubt you would even believe the state of this laptop. For one thing I have a desktop PSU now powering the laptop. (As safely - or as good as can be - as possible).

Fast forward aaaaaall the way to the last couple of weeks. I decided to have another go at figuring out the issue, I am one of the most patient, determined people, I'm now certain of it.

I went ahead and updated the BIOS with Kizwans modified A09 BIOS and had a tinker with some settings, I had been running Windows Driver Verifier for a couple of hours determined to check that drivers were not an issue and while browsing this forum I came across people mentioning Hyper Threading and Turbo Boost, so I decided to switch them off.

I have just managed to play the LONGEST game of Kerbal Space Program in an extremely long, long, long time.

BUT suddenly....BSOD.

(Tell the truth I was writing this post as it occurred, this post actually started with utter jubilation at what I thought was my triumph in fixing the problem....short lived. You'd think I would be sad about this....I am VERY used to crashes haha. In fact when I use another person's laptop and it doesn't crash I am amazed).

However! Despite the fact it has done it again, that was certainly the longest it has gone without crashing.

I have spent the last 4 years in a College and University (UK) course studying film, and as you can imagine I need a laptop for study, and video editing, this machine DOES NOT like to video edit, you wouldn't believe the amount of BSOD's and lost work I have had, yet despite this I have carried on.

Most of you would say "get a new one" easier said than done, Students don't have the luxury of money to buy new computers.....Still.....The mission continues....And I WILL figure this out.

HAHA

Tl;Dr: Spent the last 4 years trying to cure a continual BSOD issue, thought I had, realised I hadn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.