Dell Studio 1557

Discussion in 'Dell' started by huntersvk, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimlad21

jimlad21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    guys what can i do for a windows8 driver for the network card?

2. s3p3hr

s3p3hr Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys.
    i want to put an ssd in my laptop.
    which drive would you recommend?i think this would work?but i don't know if the drive is sata3 or sata2?
    i want to use external hdd for storing files (which i already did) ,and use ssd for gaming.
    thanks

3. jimlad21

jimlad21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    for an SSD i would recommend the Crucial M4 or the Samsung 840

these are the best all rounders at the min

4. s3p3hr

s3p3hr Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you jimlad21 for helpful answer.
    i have another question:can i replace the 4570 graphic card with something more powerful?like 5870 :D
    and can i put another hdd in dvd drive bay without a caddy?i can't find one in my country.
    btw i opened my laptop i assume the graphic card is the device on the right?

5. s3p3hr

s3p3hr Newbie

Reputations:
    ok,after some research i found out that graphic card can not be upgraded.
    so i went after a good ssd.
    is this ssd gonna work?
    can someone please show me a good ssd?

6. dell1557

dell1557 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

ive got Problems with the Termal Bios settings. I tryed most Bios of Page 172 but changes in "actice trip point" and "high fan trip point" have no effects. Is there anything else i have to do ?

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    Yes, the thermal settings doesn't work well. Thermal throttling will activated once CPU reached 100C.

To improved cooling you need to do copper shims mod on the GPU & VRAM. Also, re-applied better thermal paste such as Shin-Etsu G751 or IC Diamond.

8. dell1557

dell1557 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for your quick answer, copper mod is no option for me :-(

im not a high performence user, yust use office, firefox and watch movies. In windows i fit the CPU to its minimum GHz (energy management max CPU). So the fan often turns off :)

I look for a way to set the temperatures witch the fan goes on more high so that the fan dosent turn on wenn notebook is idle.

if i set the critical temp point lower 100 (for example 81) and bring the laptop with stress test above thermal settings will work till notebook is turned off ?

9. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    You can consider aluminium then. You can use fins from old heatsink. However you still need to grind or sand it down to proper thickness.

You should increase critical trip point, not lower it but it won't work since notebook will still throttling when reaching 100C. If you force clock modulation to 100% using ThrottleStop, It still can run at 1.6GHz at least but notebook will shut off after a couple of seconds.

The only way is to re-apply thermal paste. I recommend Shin-Etsu G751 or IC Diamond. Don't try Arctic MX-4 because I already tried it, result not good.

10. MenelikSams

MenelikSams Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got the following setup :

Dell Studio 1558 + 8GB DDR3
    PE4H-EC2C package (+ 2xPM3N cards for x2 link)
    eGPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 @x2 link
    PSU V2 500W (12V/34A)
    Windows 7 Pro Premium 64-bit

I connected everything right for the 1x link setup, I didn't do a 2x setup because it requires to take my wifi out and I can't do that now, but the computer doesn't detect the new Graphic card, instead it detects one unknown device and one unknown PCI comunication device. Any idea of what went wrong ?

I tried to install the Leschcat driver, but doesn't work :/

EDIT : I'm trying to do a DYU EGPU, but the graphic card is not being detected. I am not using Setup 1.x, I tried to get the DNA drivers but seems to be discontinued, the Laschcats one don't work either.

The PCI is now detected and it only needed to allow Windows Update (I don't like it because sometimes it botches), now I need only to install the Card drivers but it is taking some time because I went crazy and installed all sorts of crap.

Still no love, I got the PCI driver installed, the laptop have not detected the card and I installed the leshcatlabs.net ← Keeping it Simple. Ads free. drivers because the DNA one is no longer available apparently.

Progress report :

I formatted my computer. I managed to have windows detect the card and install the drivers, first it got it from Windows update, and then I managed to install the Laschcat drivers. But crying to run video from the Graphic card crash the computer with a Blue Screen of Death or the card shutdown.

For the card to be recognized I had to desactivate the Wifi card in the BIOS, any any ideas or help ?

Progress report 2:

I actually didn't need to disable anything in the BIOS to get this working, I set eGPU on and after set computer on, got the driver installed automatically by windows, then I installed leshcatlabs.net ← Keeping it Simple. Ads free. latest stable drivers : Leshcat’s Catalyst 13.1 WHQL UnifL V2.1

I get the device detected fine and dandy, except that if I put any load on the Graphic cards such as connecting a display or using a OpenCL application, either the card shutdown or the computers gets a blue screen of death fatal error.

Here are the pictures ... help any one :D

IMG_20130328_130459.jpg IMG_20130328_130648.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.