Dell Studio 1557

Discussion in 'Dell' started by huntersvk, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phn_uk

phn_uk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    I have a serious problem with my Studio 1557 notebook. Sata operation feature in Bios has no value and when i set it on ATA or AHCI, after restarting it goes back to blank.
    Therefore windows doesn't boot and I'm not able to boot from windows bootable disk and the cursor just blinks at the left hand corner.
    I managed to update the bios with the latest version (A09) but the problem still exists.

2. altoster

altoster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hello all...
    hi kizwan.. hope u remember me.. ;)
    my studio is still going strong.. ( the extended warranty did help me couple of times , still 1.5 yrs of warranty left)... i was just wondering the motherboard of 1558 or ( even studio xps 1647) will fit in our 1557 and work properly...

thanks..

3. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    I only know we can fitted 1558 motherboard in 1557 notebook but I don't think you can fit XPS 1647 motherboard though.

4. Xinil

Xinil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, wanted to share an issue I'm having with my 1557. Months ago it was overheating (random reboots/freezing), and after disassembling everything/cleaning and then applying A5 thermal pastel, the overheating stopped and all was well in the world.

Now however, I'm getting random BSODs. I suspected it was ram, so I removed one ram module. Everything works fine with one (but that's only 2gb.) It appeared my suspicion was correct. So I bought new 2x4gb ram. Installed the ram and it will still randomly blue screen. Turns out, if I remove one ram module (the top slot), the blue screening stops. So it appears if any ram is in the top ram slot, it will randomly blue screen.

Has anyone had this issue? I noticed there's a modified BIOS provided by kizwan. Any idea if this will 'fix' the possible faulty ram slot?

5. altoster

altoster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    HELLO KIZWAN ,

I am plannin of a configuration of vidock 3 + radeon 7750 card.. hows .. it will i need any additional stuffs for the setup
    pls help me with your suggestion..

6. jimlad21

jimlad21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    guy i have just put windows8 on my laptop, and having issues with the wifi. its apparently not supported. it does function ok, but drops out every now and then and also slow to working coming out of hibernation and on boot up.

any ideas on a replacement ?

7. kizwan

kizwan Lord Pringles

Reputations:
    No need additional stuff. Just make sure your vidock is connected to your laptop & turn on before turning on the laptop.
    Did you try force install Windows 7 driver?

My 1557 still working good without any problem except the battery is now no longer can hold any charge. The battery survive for 3 years with just 1x% wear. Not bad. But now without battery it's seems lost it purpose. I still thinking whether to get new battery or getting new system all together.

8. jimlad21

jimlad21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

not sure how to force the windows7 one.

also for you're battery in England we can get 'generic' ones for around 1/8 of the cost. they work fairly well

9. admitr

admitr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

10. admitr

admitr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Hello, kizwan!

I happen to have around a Nvidia GeForce 670M (that should be a 580 rebranded) and would like to use it instead of the 285M one.
    I've already tryed to put the 670M inside my laptop: it works at the beginning, BIOS says "unknown VGA card", but after some seconds it starts beeping and the three leds flashing; after several seconds the laptop shuts down. I think it could be just the BIOS not recognizing the video board or having some thermal checking issues.
    I think problem with parameters for "unknown video card" in bios. Because I know that in x8100 GTX670M works fine, but max official is GTX480M, and if you insert 670M you have see in Bios : Unknown VGA card.

Can you compile new bios with ported parameters "unknown video card" from x8100 to w870cu?

-Manufacturer: Clevo
    -Motherboard Model: Clevo 870CU
    -Bios revision: 1.00.18
    -Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS
    -Bios Download Link: Download W87CU18S.LS3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
    -RW Everything Report Download Link: Download AcpiTbls.rw from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Bios of x8100 Link: Download X81_114.wph from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.