Dell Studio 1555

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ps89, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTravers

JTravers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ordered a Studio 1555 from the Dell Outlet yesterday. This is for my mother-in-law, so I had to get the 720p display to keep things large and clear enough for her :D

I cannot remember if the description from the Outlet for my computer mentioned a backlit keyboard. Before I go and order one from ebay, would someone be able to tell me if the keyboard listed on the order details on the Dell website is the normal keyboard or the backlit one? Here is the description.

Quantity / Item Number/ Description
    1 / C706K / Module,Keyboard,86,US English,Inspiron Lightweight Single,Pointing,HANKS

Also, from reading this thread, I've heard so many bad things about the Samsung 720p display. Is it possible to tell from the order details what 720p display the 1555 has? I don't recall anyone saying so. Regardless, I was wondering if the description below for the 720p display is a generic one or whether it truly is correct in showing an LG display?

Quantity / Item Number / Description
    1 / W385J / Module,Liquid Crystal Display 15.6HDF,Light Emitting Diode True Life,Lg Philips Lcd

Thanks for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

2. hockmasm

hockmasm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed something weird this weekend on the Dell.com/outlet site.

Last Thursday I purchased a refurbished 1555 for $479 (includes 160GB HD and 2.1 Core 2 Duo)

On Saturday and Sunday I check the Outlet site again and they were selling Scratch & Dent 1555 for $469 (includes 320GB HD and 2.1 Core 2 Duo)

So 10 dollars cheaper with a bigger hard drive!

Today, Monday i go back and now all those SCratch and Dents are gone! Has anyone else noticed this happen? Is Dell only making some computers available on the weekend?? I feel like i got ripped off if i could have gotten the same comptuer for cheaper and a bigger hard drive.

3. JTravers

Reputations:
    Nothing weird as far as I can tell. A S&D from the Outlet is going to be cheaper than a Certified Refurbished. Also, I saw those S&D models earlier this morning. They can disappear for different reasons -- either they were purchased or they are being held in someone's shopping cart. Often, resellers try to keep the cheapest models in the Outlet in their shopping cart with the hope that a coupon will be released which they can then apply to the cheap systems they already have.

Keep checking back at the Outlet, and I bet from time to time some of those $469 S&Ds will reappear, as they drop out of people's shopping carts due to inactivity. Of course, if a coupon is released, the lowest priced models will be purchased and won't reappear until Dell adds more inventory to the Outlet (which they do regularly).

I should note that prices do drop (and even rise) at the Outlet all the time. So fluctuations in price should be thought of as normal and not something weird. As long as you are happy with the price you got when you bought your laptop, don't worry about how the price of a similar laptop may fluctuate in the future. Best to just stop checking the Outlet, and enjoy your laptop :D

4. hockmasm

Reputations:
    WIll Dell make it right? Will they let me return my studio that is in the mail right now for a better cheaper model?

5. hockmasm

Reputations:
    also, how do i know if my studio 1555 comes iwth 720p or 1080p?

6. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If it was a backlit keyboard it would say backlight in the description.

It looks like the display is a LG display and not a Samsung.

7. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Look for a line on the invoice that talks about the display and post what is says verbatim and then we can tell you what it means.

8. JTravers

Reputations:
    Dell has lately been strictly enforcing a 15% restocking fee for returning models bought in the Outlet (unless the product is defective).

Usually, however, if you call to return your product and tell them the reason is the cost, the rep will offer you a discount/credit to keep the laptop instead of returning it. Not guaranteed, but it's been known to happen in the past.

9. JTravers

Reputations:
    Thanks! That's a relief. Am I correct in assuming that there have been no complaints with the 720p LG display?

Also, is it pretty much the consensus that the backlit keyboard is worth the ~$30 price on ebay? Does anyone think it's not worth the price?

10. justinhub2003

justinhub2003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use the command line for my android phone using ADB to send commands to the phone via the android SDK, on my old acer i used to just go the folder that says Tools (under documents>android_sdk_1.>Tools) and then right click and it would bring up an option to open a command prompt here, so that basically when my command line came up it already had me navigated to the the tools folder (C:\justin\documents\android_sdk_1.5\tools) and i would just have to type in ADB Devices or Adb Logcat or whatever command I want to do.

However on the studio 1555 that runs vista (tho my dell is 64 bit) as did my acer and this option is not available when I right click on the file i wish to command prompt from, Is there a way to enable it to do that? or is that function something specific to Acer...

I dunno if I made it clear what I want, kinda hard to explain but if anyone could help me that would be great because now when I want to do android stuff I have to pull up the command prompt and type everything line by line in the there and the when I do 1 command, i have to retype the whole thing to do a second command.

It became alot more important since upgrading from a G1 to a mytouch 3g, the g1 had a physical keyboard and I could do all my command line work from the device its self but with the mytouch 3g I HAVE to use ADB/Command line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.