Dell Studio 1555

Discussion in 'Dell' started by ps89, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamezmaster

gamezmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can't seem to install the latest ATI drivers (9.9) I keep getting 'driver installation failed' in the log. I've used Mobility Modder and I've seen that this problem hasn't been mentioned here. Should I try booting without antivirus and then installing them?

2. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    Since the Studio 15 does not have a latch or any mechanical device to lock the lid in the closed position, the hinges are made extra sturdy to prevent the lid from opening of its own accord. This is why you can't open it with one hand; the hinges can support the weight of the laptop without giving.

I can give you instructions on how to remove the display panel and access the hinges if you like, but I've never actually tinkered with adjusting them. Perhaps some lubrication would help your cause, a la WD40.

3. jjohnston12385

jjohnston12385 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was just wondering if anyone plays WoW and plays it on this laptop. I have the 512MB ATi card, and the P7350 Intel. I don't need blazing frame rates like my XPS gives me, but I want something better than all low settings.

4. Fredrikkk

Fredrikkk Newbie

Reputations:
    I am not handy enough to remove the display, and it does not bother me that much, but you say that it is safe enough to squirt a little WD40 in between?

5. Terbo

Terbo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to Notebookcheck.net, you can get ~55fps on medium settings. Doesn't mention what resolution though.

6. FiFe

FiFe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I usually get anywhere from 60-150fps on medium - high I think, I'll verify later today.

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    It's actually not that hard to do; all you really need is a Philips head screwdriver. But yeah, WD40 should be just fine, just try not to get any inside the laptop itself. Tape off everything around the hinges, cover the speaker grilles, vents, etc.

8. justinhub2003

justinhub2003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

9. JellyGeo

JellyGeo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm getting my 1555 today - in exchange for a recently purchased H-P dv6-1268. It's from the PX system here in Germany and comes with a 9-cell battery. The only thing it is missing (for me) is the backlit keyboard - which I ordered off of Flea-bay this morning. I would like to get a 6-cell battery for it though - the decent-priced ones off of F-B say they're for the 1537 though. Did Dell pull their usual trick of changing batteries mid-stream on the Studio 15 series or will (hopefully) all Studio 15 batteries interchange? TIA ...

10. Fredrikkk

Fredrikkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright. Thank you sir! I will try that and report any improvements or declination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.