Dell Studio 1555, *Part 2*

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BatBoy, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gf1966

gf1966 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have any issues with the Full HD(1080p)WLED 1920x1080 display option for this laptop....

The contrast seems very poor. Blacks are more like grey... not really noticeable in windows but more so if you are watching a movie with a lot of dark scenes?

Ive tried to turn the backlight down but then the image is too dull.. are there any tweaks to improve the display quality of this screen or could I have some kind of fault?

2. donka

donka Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I have this panel and not had any issues with contrast. Who is the maker of your panel - you should be able to see this under Device ID in properties for the display under Device Manager.

3. Zdravko

Zdravko Newbie

Reputations:
    Sometimes when sound is playing on my laptop I can hear some light sound cracks (don't sure whether this is the right word). Usually they are less frequent, but sometimes they happen at an interval of a couple of minutes or less. It happens in Windows 7, Vista and Linux. The problem is definitely not in the speakers, because I can hear them with headphones and I can even record them with, for example, Audacity. Most probably it is something with the sound card or the drivers. Have you experienced this, too. If the problem is in the sound card does it mean the whole motherboard has to be replaced?

4. chaugh

chaugh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    zdracko, i think i have the same problem as you, which wasnt apparant when i was using vista but since ive upgraded to win7 pro x64, every once in a while, around 3-4 minutes, the audio will skip a beat and continue playing.

5. tipoo

tipoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is a new BIOS and audio driver, however I'm having problems downloading the files from Dell's website.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm just dumb. Peerblock blocks Dell for some reason, allowing them fixed the download.

6. krazyphire

krazyphire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just installed a P8700 into my system which was an upgrade from the T6600. The cpu upgrade, new silver compound thermal paste on both the ATI gpu and cpu, and the undervolting have seen a large drop in system wide temps. CPU temps went from 45-55 C to 33-41 C. Under direct stress from the CPUStability program the CPU maxes at 57 & 62 C on b/t the cores. Nice and cool :D

PS: I just got this laptop a few weeks ago, and it has probably the best speaker set I've ever gotten on a mainstream laptop!

7. tipoo

Reputations:

You installed a separate processor into the laptop? This intrigues me...Was there a guide you followed? Where did you buy a standalone mobile processor anyways?

8. krazyphire

Reputations:
    Yeah I have a habit of upgrading laptop processors lol. I bought the P8700 on ebay for $125 which was a good deal. I would say on a level of difficulty this isn't the easiest laptop to dismantle. You pretty much have to pull apart 80% of the laptop to get to the cpu bc Dell's panel design only allows for easy removal of the RAM.

I followed the Dell studio 1555 manual on the Dell website. The CPUs possible are the those in the normal Penryn series for Socket P processors. Intel processors are not soldered on so provided you can get to it you can change it.

9. tipoo

Reputations:
    Good to know, thanks. Might just increase the laptops useful life after its warranty is out, if I can find a higher-end mobile Penryn processor on ebay at that time.

10. krazyphire

Reputations:
    Well the new CPU has far higher raw processing ability. The P8700 is around 16% more powerful than the T6600, also the P8700 uses less power and support virtualization. That leads to increased battery life, and a cooler lap!

If you need the list of compatible CPUS let me know. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.