Dell Studio 15 1558 Thread

Discussion in 'Dell' started by dimodi, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm that's weird. I have the exact same CPU as you, 9cell, 5450m, ... with what I know is a worse cooling system than the 1558 (if I'm not mistaken they were sold with i7 quads?) And I don't get this annoying fan noise you're talking about. On a good day and a somewhat cool room I could run it passive (fan stays off) with just a browser open. If it's been 3 years then maybe it's time for a repaste? Cleaning out dust? Copper shim mod is an option for these? I'll be hitting 3 years on my cheapo 1564 (and 19000 hours of runtime) soon and I'll add another 2 years on it before I'll consider replacing it.

When the machine is under full load and turbo that's another story, that has the potential to drown out planes taking off over your house.
    Maybe something else is stealing CPU cycles?

That's all I can think of for now.
    ~Aeny

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I'm probably going to try to resurrect my 1558 next weekend. IIRC, it's a i7-720, w/ 8 GB of RAM and the discrete graphics. It stopped booting, so I replaced it, and took the SSD in it to my current machine. It currently posts, but then dies shortly after - I'm thinking overheating, even though the fan seems to be pushing some air. I have a replacement fan/heatsink unit I got off eBay, so I will see if that helps. It came with 5 bent fins, so they are sending a replacement.

I don't really need this machine to run (I have a two other desktops acting as media server and client, plus my laptop), but it would be nice nonetheless, so I am hoping all I need to pickup now is a 2.5" drive.

3. silencer51

silencer51 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bringing this thread back from the dead because I have a friend's dead Studio 1558 here that is driving me crazy.

So this laptop will turn on, sometimes reaching the DELL bios splash screen, then turn off.

Sometimes it shuts off immediately, other times you have 3-4 seconds until the splash screen shows.

I've cleaned the fan and air ducts, I've taken it apart to check for any loose connections, I've replaced the power button...

What is it I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Does the fan actually spin up, or is it dead maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. dimodi

dimodi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same problem with my laptop and I spoke to a really decent guy at a computer repair shop in Norwich over the phone this week.

I'd done some research and looks like the GPU is fried on the 1558, it's a common problem. Got a quote from a place in London for £200+vat minimum to fix the problem which I thought was steep.

My Norwich contact charges £45 for the same service and explained how it is. Is called a reballing process where they heat the soldering and allow the molecules to reestablish bonds where broken. It's not guaranteed to work which is why he runs a book fix no fee service. If it does work, which is likely, then it's also likely to fail again down the line. They only guarantee 3 months for this very reason.

They also offer the motherboard replacement if they can source one, this is the only alternative as the GPU is soldered to the motherboard. As the mobo itself is badly designed, its sure to eventually fail again.

He advised that instead of spending money with him to fix if, just cut my losses and buy a new machine. I can't help but think, however, that for £45 I could have it working again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. tipoo

tipoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Think I have the same problem with my Studio 1555, it only boots when it's warm (by leaving it on for a long time), so I think a ball under the GPU is cracked and heating it up connects it temporarily.

I wonder, were Studio 15s ticking time bombs in this regard? Seems like a lot of them with the same issue. If this was Apple rather than Dell there would be news of this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 5 year life I got out of this.

7. dimodi

dimodi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, they were failures waiting to happen. Every one of them is affected. Its not a manufacturing defect, its a design flaw which ultimately affects every laptop designed to that specification.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. tipoo

tipoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

That widespread, eh? RRoD: Dell Edition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.