Dell Quadro P4000 or Dell GTX1070 in Clevo P750DM-G?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by MKazmer, Sep 16, 2019.

1. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if both or either of these cards will work?

My current system:
    Clevo P750DM-G (Prema Mod BIOS)
    Chipset: Z170
    GPU: GTX1060
    CPU: 6700K
    RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (Hyperx)
    SSD: Samsung 960 evo nvme 500GB

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The right 1070 can work.

jaybee83 likes this.
  3. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Thank you, I knew I could at least count on you to reply. I actually found a Eurocom GTX1070 that will work and I'm thinking about going for it, but I'd really like to know if I could get the Quadro P4000 working. Perhap I could do it with a bios mod.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What are you looking to use the quadro for?

5. MKazmer

Reputations:
    I use my laptop almost entirely for 3D rendering. I use sketchup, CAD and Chief Architect. The GTX1060 has served me well, but now I am doing larger projects more often and when I try to make quick changes in front of the client, it lags and sometimes freezes up entirely. I may be on the verge of a hardware failure, but it has acted this way from the day I installed it. Aside from that, I also make 360 videos of my 3D renderings and I would like to speed up the process. I no longer play games, my laptop is solely a workstation now.

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    may i ask what your storage config is and how large your project files usually are? also what is ur ram setup?

nvm, just saw the OP :)

could it be that ure running out of RAM? 16 gigs might be the cause of those lags and stutters. check ur ram usage when having the usual amount of files/projects open.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

7. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Yes, I thought about the RAM being the issue, but when I'm running the program it only shows that I'm using at max 75%. That leaves 4GB of RAM free and 16GB seems like a decent amount of RAM. How much RAM should be free for this kind of work? I do mostly landscape designs for residential, but I've been doing some commercial lately and sadly had to section an apartment complex so that I could actually work on it. I realize it sounds like I should be making alot of money and should be able to afford a brand new awesome laptop, but life has gotten very very expensive here and I need to be cost conscious. With that said, I'm ordering more RAM right now. I'm getting 32GB in 16GB sticks so that I can add another two if needed.

Thank you

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    you could actually do a worst case test: disable paging file completely and see how you system reacts. if it runs out of RAM and gives you a warning message or BSODs while u have all your project files open, then u know its a RAM limitation. with the paging file enabled, i dont think Windows lets the RAM to be filled 99% before offloading data to storage. so could be that this offloading to your 960 drive would cause the hangs and stutters.

this is all just based on assumption of course, just spitballing here :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Could be video ram limitations depending on the work too.

If you can find a place that will let you return it if it has not worked or are willing to sell it on I'd say it's worth a shot.

jaybee83 likes this.
  10. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Which card would be better suited to my needs? The Eurocom GTX1070 or a P4000? From what I've read, the quadro cards seem to do a better job of 3D modeling/rendering, even when they are less powerful. Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge on the matter, but this doesn't make much sense to me.