Dell Precision M6800 Laptop Quadro M5000M GPU Power Limit throttling issue at 100W

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by surfinkin, Aug 31, 2019.

?

Did you face throttling with m5000m in your dell or hp workstation?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I thought that was what you would find. That's a great way to find out. I'm sorry I didn't fix the problem, but I'm glad that it gave you the correct and accurate answer.

2. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you. Yes you did help me confirm my doubts on the perfcap.
    Could you please help me in modding the vBIOS to increase the power limit?
    Edit:
    vBIOS link
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188273/188273
    I'm familiar with the maxwell bios editor and flashing. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have always used firmware modded by someone else, so I am not experienced with what should be changed. What I would do if I were in your shoes is look at good vBIOS mods in the Maxwell BIOS Editor to see what others changed to get good results and try to emulate that.

I have attached a modded 980M vBIOS that I had extremely great results with overclocking if you want to look at it in the Maxwell BIOS Tweaker.

Attached Files:

jaybee83 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I will cross refer this bios to see if i can find any workarounds.
    Thank you.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I use NVIDIA SMI to manually set my modded 2080 Ti power limit to 2000W. You might want to try using that command to set your GPU to the 100W power limit and see if it helps being set to a static value.

upload_2019-9-2_7-1-53.png

Those that are using Windows 10 DCH drivers... I think you may find the Redmond Retards have removed NVIDIA SMI features. You'll need to use standard drivers and ditch the DCH crap. God forbid that someone might draw too much power from one of their precious tree-hugger candy-butt turdbooks.

tilleroftheearth and jaybee83 like this.
  6. surfinkin

surfinkin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tried setting the same values as yours in my power table of the vBIOS. It doesn't help pushing the 100W limit. Sadly the smi power limit command doesn't let me push it either as it says the input must be between 0-100W as I said in my other reply :(

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On a kinda related note..

I had a couple of problems when I updated my gpu drivers last week, it locked my card to 1038Mhz Boost clock, this on a 980m, overclocking did nothing, after running an handfull of versions 425.31 is working fine, besides that I can't adjust voltage, no matter if I use Afterburner or NVIDIA Inspector, core and memory OC works fine, but voltage doesn't budge from 1.075v, and I'm running a modded vBIOS by Svet, it worked in the past, but not since my last clean install of the OS, bug, or Nvidia driver capping shenanigans ?

At least I can move my TDP around, but it doesn't help if I can't change my voltage..

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    As a last-ditch effort, you might want to try using a driver from this time last year, or older, to see if the behavior is the same or better.

NVIDIA has done many dirty, rotten things with drivers... including, but not limited to, blocking memory and power adjustments, and overclocking.

senso likes this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    funny u should mention that, i noticed the same! i suspect its the OS, since I was using the same j95 driver mod before my clean install and voltage/clocks/TDP worked fine. now i cant adjust anything and im stuck at base clocks, not even boost! ugh...

but very good info, that at least 425.31 is working for ya. ill try that one once my machine is up and running again :)

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't know if this is the right place, but what would I need to get a M5000M from a Zbook 17 G3 to get working in a Dell M6800, just a dell VBIOS?
    Edit: Or would I be better off with a 1060 for a similar price?