Dell Precision M6700 vs M6800

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Obscureman, Sep 23, 2017.

?

M6700 or M6800 ?

1. M6700

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. M6800

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Obscureman

Obscureman Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, guys.
    I am new here with some questions and it is best to make a separate thread. Now I have offers for second hand m6700 (500 euro) and m6800 (700 euro).
    Both are with GPU k3000m/k3100m, i7-3740QM / i7-4800MQ, 2 x 8 GB RAM, UltraSharp FHD (1920x1080) wide view Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium Panel Guarantee. I have read so much about these two machines so far. In many ways they are the same. I work mostly with Adobe products - Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects. I plan in time to upgrade the GPU with Quadro M3000M.
    What do you think? M6700 or M6800 and why?

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    is there an edp panel? is there optimus?

3. Obscureman

Obscureman Newbie

Reputations:
    I will get one of these machines from a long distance. I do not have the most detailed data. The seller says they are in very good condition with a guarantee and good batteries.
    Let's forget in this moment about Quadro M3000M (this upgrade is not urgent or obligatory). These prices are quite acceptable. I just want you to give me an opinion whether it is worth the 200 euro difference between the two models? What are the important differences between them?
    So far, I find no thread that compares them well. Here are many owners of these machines with a lot of experience. I count on your opinion.
    I thought all machines M6700 and M6800 with Quadro GPU have Optimus or I'm wrong?

4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    I asked about edp and optimus because new pascal cards require those and these new cards are more powerful
    those cpus have similar performances
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4800MQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3740QM/m3437vsm2919
    Hi! @Aaron44126 @iieeann do you have some feedbacks for this user?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You have a better chance of a successful GPU upgrade with the newer model (newer chipset)

Obscureman likes this.
  6. Obscureman

Obscureman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you,
    ThatOldGuy

And as reliability, is there a difference between the two models? Are both equally reliable?

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  7. ArazelEternal

ArazelEternal Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As was said, the M6800 has a newer chipset in it. This will make upgrading the video card much easier. As I understand it, the M6700 isnt compatible with any cards newer than Kepler (the K series Quadros) so it wont use the M3000M, but the M6800 will. Also the M6800 has a newer cpu (haswell vs ivy bridge). The haswell has the AVX 2 extensions built into the CPU which the ivy bridge has only AVX. This is useful in apps that do a lot of compute as it helps accelerate the computational rate. There are other advantages too, but these are the main ones that I can think of.

ThatOldGuy and Obscureman like this.
  8. jaizin

jaizin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can't speak for the 6700, but I had an M6800 for work, and it was a really solid machine. I only no longer have it because our organization did a tech refresh, but it still ran like a champ when I turned it in.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  9. D.Dastardly

D.Dastardly Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Everybody seems to miss the point that the M6700 has 101% advantage in screen terms. Can't compete with that RGB IPS panel.

When? The M6800 is already discontinued. No one will offer BIOS upgrades for Pascal platform.