Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    According to Dell, the Precision M6700 supports a maximum of 8GB per slot. (Not sure if anyone has tried larger sticks)
    8GB sticks will top out at 1600MHz, and 4GB and smaller will top out at 1866MHz.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have not heard stories of anyone trying a 16GB module in this laptop. I would be interested to hear the results but do not expect that it would work. I checked on Newegg and there are 8GB sticks that run at 1866 and those should work.

If you upgrade to a quad-core CPU then you will be able to use the remaining two RAM slots. Any mobile Ivy Bridge CPU should work.

3. Asleep

Asleep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just had a HD failure with my M6700 and my computer guy returned it to me with a new HDD and only Windows 10 Pro on it...

Do I need to download any of the Dell software that came with it when purchased? I was on Windows 7 Pro before, not sure if I'll keep 10 Pro or not. Was not prepared for this, W10 is a mystery to me right now. I have added Classic Shell and Shut Up 10 on recommendations here.

There was an update checker for BIOS and drivers, there was a configurator for mouse/touchpad... I'm trying to remember others?

I'm going to have to send the old HDD to a forensic recovery lab to try to get what I can back from the old drive. In the meantime, I'm starting from scratch.

Any suggestions appreciated.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Most of the drivers that you need will come in automatically from Windows Update. I recommend manually installing the touchpad drivers to get the GUI panel for it, and also the ControlVault/fingerprint reader drivers if your unit has one. And the latest BIOS if you don't have it installed already.

Otherwise, you should be pretty much set. You can find the downloads on the Dell support site or the full list here: http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/precision-m6700.html (Note, supported OS "WT64A" means Windows 10 64-bit in this list)

The updater tool that you are referring to is called "Dell Command | Update" and it is also available on the support site.

It's time to get used to Windows 10. It's clearly going to be mainstream for a while. Windows 7 (released in 2009, remember) has less than 20 months of support left and then security updates go away.

Backups from now on! You should always have a plan for what you are going to do if your hard drive takes a dump tomorrow, because hard drives always eventually fail.

Asleep likes this.
  5. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One more driver that you want to manually download: GPU drivers (If yours is configured with a dedicated GPU).
    Get them from either Nvidia or AMD directly as the windows update versions have zero opengl support

Asleep likes this.
  6. dtone

dtone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I've just got a brand new M6700 covet for my collection (M64 covet, M65 covet). It's now operating with I7 dual core and K3000m. I'm now having chance to upgrade to K4100m with 50$. Is it worth for?
    By the way, if i put a geforce card into, can it still produce 10bit color space? i heard some info that only quadro card can produce 10bit color space