Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. skullzaflare

skullzaflare Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had no issues running the GTX970m 6gb in mine. Just watch what model you get. (bios wise)
    If i still had my 6700 i would probably try one of the gtx1060/1070 chips on ebay, since they are the same layout. Not much info on it online however

I miss my 6700, currently rocking a GE63VR with a 1070 and love it. But miss the expandability and steady lock and load readyness feeling

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I upgraded from K5000M to M5000M, which is equivalent to a 980M in most regards, and it was a very nice upgrade. I have a thread about it.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/precision-m6700-gpu-upgrade-k5000m-to-m5000m.807061/

I ran into a couple of problems... One was that I couldn't get it working with Optimus, which I don't think is really a big deal. Another problem was that the screen would not turn back on after it went to sleep after the timeout set in power options --- this ended up fixing itself, I'm not sure what I did. So overall, I am totally happy with it, performance is well over 2x better than the K5000M for most applications.

I think you'd do well with a 980M, coming from the K4000M it will probably be more like a 3x improvement. The 780M is still a Kepler card and it will be a more incremental improvement.

If you've upgraded your GPU before already, then you know what to expect. You may have to transfer the X-bracket off of your old card. You do have to modify the driver INF file to get it working which means jumping through a few hoops (you have to do this again whenever you want to upgrade the driver or whenever Microsoft pushes one of their semi-annual big Windows 10 upgrades).

Pascal cards do not work in the M6700 --- they require an eDP display. If you happen to have an M6700 with the IPS display (the only eDP panel sold in the M6700) then you can get it working, but there are some issues like brightness control not working.

ygohome likes this.