Dell Precision M6600 Water Cooling - project

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Hellsik, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you like this project?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps you could if you cooled it (assuming the problem is heat and not locked hardware)?

2. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its locked hardware :(

3. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah :(

4. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New update from test. It looks good. Temperature GPU in 30 min FureTest was only 69 degrees. Water temperature was little bit higher 45 degrees. I must use 2 cooling fan. First on cooling water second on cooling GPU RAM. Whole project must be completed at end of March. Here is some pictures.

After few second of test.
    IMG_20181230_235433.jpg

After 30 minutes
    IMG_20181231_001448.jpg

bennyg likes this.
  5. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hijack this thread but first of all you were absolutely right: I haven't made my homeworks so far. Thank you for providing this information! :rolleyes:

This Ambulatory micro pump: were the heck can one get this? Following the manufacturer of this pump it is not for public release/buying. I even searched all known marketplaces but to no avail. So if you have a clue were to obtain one I would get my aquabook running again and open a dedicated thread for it.

bennyg likes this.
  6. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I HIGHLY doubt you're going to be able to get your hands on that. Any of that medical use stuff is going to be an absolute fortune as these companies know that insurance companies will pay basically anything. Wouldn't shock me if a pump like that was over $2,000-3,000. That is going to be 6-Sigma reliability tested/manufactured as it's for use in critical environments which means big $$.

Couple critiques as someone who was once doing a similar project. Your tubing is WAY too big. You're going to have to sacrifice the flow rate with smaller tubing. I would use those waterblocks for both contacting the CPU/GPU as well as being mount points for a 1mm heatpipe that gets soldered to a bonded fin assembly so the fans can cool off the loop.

CaerCadarn and bennyg like this.
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I PMed the guy with exactly that kind of question and he mentioned that due to extremely high QC standards for these kinds of devices there are "seconds" that could be perfectly suitable for this kind of project, I never asked further though

I'm wondering for my next project if the stock fans and rads could be kept in place and copper tube be soldered in place of existing heatpipes. Though it'd have to be squashed pretty flat to fit where 3mm high heatpipes once did

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Due to @bennyg exploits I plan to attempt something similar on my Alienware 17 once I get into Korea.

Rei Fukai and bennyg like this.
  9. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OOOOOH!!!!! Keep me up to date on that!!!

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was planning on doing the same. I wanted to 3d print an enclosure for my waterpumps, and fit it where my SSD is located. Then i would proceed to modify my heatsink (i have one spare), removing the old cpu coldplate, to replace it with the watercooling block. It would look something like this:

img_20150909_094712wlo8p.jpg

but routing the pipes back inside my laptops. I'm still practicing 3d printing, but i would like to connect the loop to the existing heatsink fins, so it can cool the water before it loops over the dies.

This could also work, and with this i can create a loop from the picture above, with combination with this, this can become a closed loop
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...r-Dissipate-heat-Refit-300mm/32405742230.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 6:19 AM