Dell Precision M6600 Water Cooling - project

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Hellsik, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Do you like this project?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell Precision M6600 water cooling

Hello, I decided to create water cooling laptop project. The notebook that I will use is Dell Precision M6600. I am a plan built the whole system inside a notebook, it should be possible. My project must end in February 2019.

10.png
    The first design in Autocad in 2016.

ALFA TEST
    Water pump

The biggest problem is the size of a water pump. I found only two options which should fit into chassis and off course it is possible to buy it. The second specification is a voltage of this pump it must be on 5V or 12V.
    The first pump has got only 25mm in diameter. It is power by USB with 5V and it has got 150L/H (2,5L per minute). This pump is very quiet, only some vibrations.
    Name: NEW DC 4V-6V MINI MICRO BRUSHLESS SUBMERSIBLE MOTOR WATER PUMP

7.png 5.png 6.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    triturbo, sicily428, c69k and 4 others like this.
  2. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Water blocks
    In the second part are water cooling blocks. I found only one type of blocks for my test. Both blocks are from aluminium. First is for cooling CPU and second (blue) is for cooling hot water. They cannot fit into the notebook but I can create my own cooling block.
    Name: Aluminum Water Cooling Cooler Heatsink Block 40x40x12mm For CPU
    Name: 80x40x12mm CPU Graphics Card Hard Disk Water Cooling Waterblock Heatsink Block

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello fellow crazy laptop watercooling modder!

Here are copper versions of that style of block:

PC CPU GPU Northbridge Waterblock Pure Copper Universal For Intel http://s.aliexpress.com/yuEnumA3

4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I looked at a full internal system in a larger laptop (that had a couple of large internal cavities from ODD and two stacked 2.5" bays) and came to the conclusion that these were the obstacles:
    Finding a pump (and res) that would fit (and still be quiet. Small pumps such as the alphacool dc-lt tend to be noisy)
    Finding blocks that could fit and have some kind of mounting mechanism. I found some blocks with universal mounting mechanisms that looked like they could work but how much pressure they would exert was questionable. (flat rectangle pieces of metal with a channel drilled out of the middle and long screws). Some of the blocks described as 'Northbridge cooling blocks' looked smaller than those 40x40 ones. Ideally you'd want something with microfins or microchannels, but you may have to fab something yourself (you might find high quality blocks from GTX 680s etc are very cheap or even given away on overclocking forums). Most blocks looked like vertical G1/4 thread though and then the height they would involve added another problem
    Radiator fins! My aims were to improve cooling and overclocking before noise, and without more radiators I was unsure if this would be the case. Its also important to keep loop temperature down as that starts to impact reliability (pump and leaks) and rads and airflow are how the heat is removed.

I ended up going the hybrid route, soldering 6mm copper tube to existing heatsinks, using quick disconnects to retain portability, that meant I could use a quality swiftech pump and 360mm rad and a large res to allow quick bleeding (as the qdcs let a tiny bit of air in during connect /disconnect so I kept them outside the laptop case so internal leaks didn't happen) and mount the setup a fair way away from me. All while learning the soldering and other skills sometimes the hard way so mine was an evolution rather than planned from the start.

5. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know that block, but 10mm height is too much, it could be around 8-9 mm. For first test is better option aluminium block.
    1. I found piezo-electric pump, which will be the best, but they can not sell me 1-5 pcs. Name of company is CurieJet. This pump has god 500ml/min.
    2. Thank you for an idea to use old water block from GPU. I have old cooler from aluminium or copper, I will modify them to create my own block with bigger channels and I will create 3D model of water block with microchannels, after few tests. Today I will create a mount for CPU block and run IBT with speedfan.
    3. Now I am testing only CPU cooling, I must test blue block that will be cooled with water. Of corse, I would not like to modify chassis.
    Last option is the same as another people, but this is not the best looking solution. Maybe I will fail a it will be the last option.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  6. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would this be a hybrid solution or a full on water cooling solution? This sounds frankly very interesting. As well, you might want to try modifying the laptops body in a way to add extra height to the internal Optical Drive bay

7. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It will be only water cooling. I am planning to use a modified heatsink. I have many parts for this notebook, i can modify it. Today I will post temperature of stress test my alfa solution.

Grant B Gibson and bennyg like this.
  8. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is my first test and results. Stress test run for 45 minutes. Water temperature was around 39 degrees. Tomorow I will use for cooling liquid the blue block insert to water, maybe cool with fan.

IMG_20180701_233158.jpg

Running stress test
    1.png

Iddle after stress test 2.png

Attached Files:

9. User32

User32 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Following this with interest, even though I don't own a M6600.

10. Hellsik

Hellsik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Project is going well :). Max CPU temperature was 72 degrees, but second core was around 6 degrees cooler. It can be some mounting problem.

Grinding paint on water block
    1.jpg

Stress test with cooled water block for 1 hour
    2.jpg

Cooldown for 1,5 hour
    3.jpg

CPU and GPU stress test for 1 hour
    4.jpg

bennyg and Grant B Gibson like this.