Dell Precision M3800 - 2013!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by slimpower, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneCharmingQuark

OneCharmingQuark Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just noticed that Dell's website mentions that the weight starts at 4.5 pounds. The otherwise accurate leak said that the M3800 comes with both a 61 Wh and a 91 Wh configuration, so the 91 Wh version will probably be slightly heavier.

2. SengXun

SengXun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Erm, may I know is the M3800's battery in-built or removable?

I hope it ain't like MBP

3. tmoney2007

tmoney2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Built in. It's probably going to be user serviceable though. I don't see it being glued or soldered in.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

4. OneCharmingQuark

Reputations:
    I may have posted this before, but the fact that the XPS 13 has a user serviceable battery gives me a great deal of hope that the M3800 will as well. The significant difference in weight between this and the M4800 makes this a very tempting machine for me, seeing that it should have good enough performance for my needs. However, a user replaceable battery would pretty much have to be a necessity.

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook | Battery Replacement | How-To-Tutorial - YouTube

I'm going to throw out some speculation here. I suspect that 61 Wh battery is what makes room for the normal HDD. I don't see how they could possibly fit a 91 Wh battery, two fans, RAM, and a 2.5 inch hard drive into this thing. A smaller battery would make room. The 91 Wh battery version would then use an mSATA SSD to save space. I have no contact with Dell, so don't take this for granted. It's just my guess.

5. notebook303

notebook303 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't plan on buying either of these I just took a look at the specs. I think at a certain price point manufacturers should not put USB 2.0 ports in PC's/notebooks,I think it's only one but still.

6. Rockin_Zombie

Rockin_Zombie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I donno, to me it doesn't seem like a cost issue.. may be some devices don't play well with 3.0? Although its supposed to be fully backward compatible

7. SengXun

SengXun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Crap! Because I usually buy 2 batteries and stay out at cafes (with no power socket to use my charger).
    So I guess I have to go with M4800.

8. OneCharmingQuark

Reputations:
    As far as I know the only USB 2.0 port on either of the 2013 model Precisions is the combined eSATA / USB 2.0 port on the two bigger machines. It's just a small bonus functionality to the eSATA port, not a cost saving measure or a backwards compatibility thing.

9. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    The USB 2.0 port is for debugging. My Ivy Bridge Alienware can't boot from USB 3.0. I have to stick it into the lone USB 2.0 port (which is also an eSATA port) to boot a drive and install windows without a CD drive.

10. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Correction: you used the eSATA port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.