Dell Precision 7530, HP ZBook 15 G5, or Lenovo ThinkPad P52?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ionising_Radiation, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does HP have a return policy?

2. amit2103

amit2103 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very good question. No. They have an onsite warranty etc..But as far I can tell no...Which is why I want to know as much details as possible. An alternative is to get the XPS 9570 I am thinking whether it will be more reliable than the HP. It does seem to have throttling issues as well though

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The HP Zbook should be significantly better than the XPS. Note that the P600 in the Zbook is not very powerful. It's similar to an MX150.

4. amit2103

Reputations:
    I am fine, with P600, graphics is not a big deal, occasional video and some small games of 2012-2013 are all I will ever play. Its mostly dev work with compiling, VM's docker etc.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. amit2103

Reputations:
    Actually @Blacky its the Zbook 15V G5, note the V. I am sure the zbook is better but it costs a bit too much here...But the 15V is within my budget

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've noticed. The V is the budget line of Zbook. Still, a Zbook should be a Zbook. Wouldn't be wise for HP to trash their brand.

amit2103 likes this.
  7. amit2103

Reputations:
    I am betting on that. Zbooks generally have excellent build quality. The thermals worry me. To be fair most 6 core laptops have issue with cooling. I need a bit of portability and service warranties so clevos or Acer Predator 500 is out of the question

8. pevo

pevo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody tested Lenovo Thinkpad P1 yet? I am leaning toward that. Sadly, no decent or any reviews for the Zbook's lineup yet...

9. amit2103

Reputations:
  10. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have risked it and bought a ZBook G5 (without v). The only drawback was a very cheap thermal paste on processor that caused the cooling to be noisy at 100% fan speed as soon as processor went up to 20% load. After repasting using Thermal Grizzly thermal paste and pads, the machine is much quieter, temperature of CPU only very rarely goes over 90 degrees C and fan never goes over 65% even when compiling huge project. Otherwise, the machine is beautifully built with great upgrade options (added a 2TB m.2 SSD and a 120GB SATA SSD), great screen and generally very good cooling.

amit2103 and bobbie424242 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.