Dell Precision 7530, HP ZBook 15 G5, or Lenovo ThinkPad P52?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ionising_Radiation, Jun 26, 2018.

1. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. nutral

nutral Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been looking at these options. For my work i want the fastest single cpu possible, with good full core characteristics when running all 6 cores for simulations. i prefer to have more than 4gb of graphic memory, because cad eats that up. Extra gpu power is always nice.i also want to have 32gb of memory. Im taking it on bike so i don't want a too heavy laptop. The budget from work is about 2600€ excl tax.

I've looked at the 7530, but it's just so expensive with 8850H or i9 and the P3200 with the mandatory ssd bought with it.
    The P52 could be nice, but i don't know much about the models and pricing, i used to have a P51 with the xeon, but i'm switching jobs. The keyboard and docking station are really nice though, altough the P52 doesn't have that docking solution.

Zbook is usually very overpriced.

XPS 15 is in the budget with possible a i9, but the 6 cores are going to struggle with the cooling. gpu is also a bit slower. very thin and light though.

Alienware 15 R4 is nice, but with 3,5kg (compared to 2,5kg of the other workstations), it's just too heavy. It does have fast cpu's (i9) and a fast GPU (1070gtx). cooling is very good.

MSI GS65, good performance but only a 8750H cpu, 1070gtx max q, it's also very light and fits in the budget. keyboard is shallow though.

(gigabyte) Aorus x5 v8, a full 1070gtx and 8850H overclockable cpu, with good cooling and is 2,6kg (2,5 after removing the 2,5inch hd probably). The notebookcheck review shows very high boost clocks as well. only bad thing is that it has g-sync, and for G-sync the display has to be connected to the gpu and optimus can't work that way. so battery life is only a couple of hours. This laptop is also not available in the netherlands and i'd have to get it from germany.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Aorus-X5-v8-i7-8850H-GTX-1070-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.305300.0.html

3. edtok

edtok Newbie

Reputations:
    I am considering getting the P52, I'm hoping someone could help me decide between the 8850H and the Xeon model, apart from the slightly higher price and clock speed what other differences might one expect? Is the Xeon maybe better with the quadro range of Graphics cards, will it run hotter or colder? Any other things I have not thought of? Will there even be a noticeable difference? I'm looking to use it mainly for multi core usage.

4. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Xeon can support ecc ram which can reduce error and crashes. It also has higher boost clock than 8850H.

5. pevo

pevo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I read people ruled out Razer - does it really run steaming hot? What other unbearable flaws does it have?
    After continuously reading and contemplating what to get, it turns out that MSI and HP's Zbook remain the only viable options. (at least for me, plus based on the discussion thus far)
    We never chatted about Macs, but I personally will never even pay a penny for their overpriced, average-looking, performance wise, machine.

Anything else worth considering?

6. dvv47

dvv47 Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't see if you got answer to this question, so
    This graphics perfomance boost you got becouse with enabled iGpu intel grphics card will display anything to monitor and nvidia makes only background render then copy buffer to intel.
    When you disable iGpu, then nvidia will display anything so in this case there is no buffer copies and renders directly to display.

If you intrested windows 10 with latest update also shows which gpu render to wich display in "advanced display settings"

dzeek likes this.
  7. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bear in mind the models considered in this thread. They're powerful machines, capable of maintaining that power (mostly) over time and have a modest visual design. They also typically come with next business day on site support options.

Razers run hot. The logo screams "video games are more important to me than work" and their support is... generally not rated very good.

8. pevo

pevo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, makes total sense. I was really tempted to get a P52, I guess I hope now that HP has pulled off a decent machine.

9. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm considering a Dell Precision 7530.

On the Dell configuration page for this model, there is something that seems weird:
    The Xeon E-2186M costs 55 euros less than the Core i9 8950HK.
    This page shows that the E-2186M is supposedly more powerful and more expensive:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E-2186M-vs-Intel-Core-i9-8950HK/3232vs3246

What do you think of this situation ? Any relation to the Core i9 being overclockable and the Xeon is not ?

Admitedly, the Xeon requires "Windows 10 Pro For Workstations" (that's what the Dell configurator tells), which adds 127 euros to the cost.

So in the end, Xeon or Core i9 ? I do not need ECC but I do care about more CPU performance.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    You can also choose Ubuntu Linux (which shaves off an extra ~€100), and install Windows yourself—you can get it off cheaper channels.

Dell has its own pricing for hardware; the i9 is supposedly cheaper, but let's not let them know about it, eh?

Go for the Xeon, and get non-ECC RAM (also aftermarket; get the cheapest 8 GB option to save money). Only get the i9 if you need the unlocked multiplier overclockability.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018