Dell Precision 7530, HP ZBook 15 G5, or Lenovo ThinkPad P52?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ionising_Radiation, Jun 26, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    45W/70W PL1/PL2 I would assume based on score. Would need a GM501 owner to run HWiNFO to confirm.

The 7530 has 60W/90W PL1/PL2 defaults.

2. dzeek

dzeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. Where can I find those settings in HWINFO? I would like to check the P52.

Also, what is the benefit of setting them lower on the GM501? Is it to prevent thermal throttling?

3. dzeek

Reputations:
    @yrekabakery

I checked HWINFO on the P52 and it appears to have PL1/PL2 set to 55W/78W (see screen snippett below). Am I interpreting it correctly?

What is the benefit of setting PL1 lower than the 7530 on the GM501 and P52? Is it to prevent thermal throttling? If so, does that mean that the different PL1 settings are indicators of how good the cooling solutions compare on the different systems?

upload_2018-7-9_7-18-34.png

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The P52 is thinner and lighter than the 7530. From looking at the service manuals it appears to have a smaller heatsink and likely slimmer fans than the 7530 as well. It does not surprise me at all if it comes from the factory with lower power limits than the 7530. Manufacturers tend to be conservative with this like this (especially on early bios versions), just so they don't get a high RMA rate from overheating issues.

Have you tried undervolting or repasting yet? It sounds like you want the 8850H to perform better than the 8750H in @Div033's 7530. If you do both of those things and also consider getting a cooling pad on your desk, then I think you could probably get there.

5. dzeek

Reputations:
    Thanks. I haven't tried undervolting or repasting. I'm still deciding where to keep the P52 or get something else. I'm not trying to get it to perform the same as the 7530. I'm just trying to understand the performance differences and the reasons for them. I'm also considering the 7530 and GM501. I may test the GM501. The 1070 and potentially better cooling are appealing for my uses.

BTW, I believe the P52 and the 7530 are about the same thickness and weight.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ODMs set power limits based on what they think the cooling and power supply of the unit can handle.

The power limits are not direct indicators of how good the cooling is. Plenty of thin notebooks that overheat on stock power limits.

7. dzeek

Reputations:
    Makes sense. Thx

8. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's extremely difficult to reach the heatsink of P52. So if you are not experienced enough, don't try it for the sake of your laptop's life.

9. dzeek

Reputations:
    Thanks. Good advice.

10. janosik.kopac

janosik.kopac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I am in a very similar situation. However, I don't need the strong graphics card and P2000 is still an overkill: I need processor power + storage (2xM.2 and a SATA). Which is a better choice: HP Zbook G5 or P52? Dell seems to be more expensive. I like the matt display of G5, however, I have quite a good experience with Lenovo's Thinkpads. I need a long battery life (which should be better? the reviews of predecessors are giving a huge variety of results) and I want the notebook to be quiet. Thanks a lot for advance