Dell Precision 5520 or HP Zbook Studio G5

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rokobo, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Rokobo

Rokobo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

My first post here. I need to replace my trading laptop, which is Precision M4700 with 16 GB RAM, i5-3220M and 2 SSDs, running Windows 7 and Linux just fine. Will have to upgrade to W10 anyway, since support for my trading applications will move on as well. So far, it works perfectly fine for me.

Right now I am presented by the choice of Dell Precision 5520 , i7-7820HQ 2.9GHz, 500GB NVMe, 32GB RAM , FHD, M1200 for $800 and HP Zbook Studio G5, i7-8750H, 16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K DreamColor, P1000 for $1000. I also have a few Z workstation desktops and a few monitors, all work admirably despite their age.

Aside from mobility, laptops offer me escape from UPS mess. For my needs I do not really need an increase in computational power, but going to W10 on my old trusty laptop may present a challenge (?). Otherwise, no intensive number crunching. For those familiar with the scene: I run TOS, a few Excel worksheets and CQG products.

Thank you

2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well that ZBook has a 6 core processor (vs the 4 core in the Precision) and a newer GPU (Pascal), so it will be faster and more future proof. You can upgrade the RAM yourself if you need more. The DreamColor displays are really nice, too. IMO, worth the extra 200.

I've been an Elitebook/Zbook user for over a decade, their build quality is top notch. G5's design is also pretty nice. Can't comment on the Dell.

Both of them will run pretty hot, but the ZBook should be slightly better.

Rokobo likes this.
  3. Rokobo

Rokobo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you.

How is Dreamcolor in terms of readability? I realize it is a great option for visual content creation. I am a bit concerned with resolution being 'too high' for all the boring stuff, e.g. spreadsheets and tables. Increasing size simply defeats the purpose.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While it's true a six core CPU will be faster, but that's only when pushing it, not while doing office/internet and it sounds like the OP doesn't need much oomph. My question would be why get a workstation? It doesn't seem you need the CPU or GPU power. For a $1,000 you can get a pretty nice new notebook. A 4K display generally speaking will offer better image quality, but I think most won't be able to read it at its native resolution. Whether the better display is worth the cash is a value judgement, and you can answer either way and be right. 4K screens do tend to hit the battery harder if you care. I don't think many here have seen one or the other of those notebooks, let alone both. I don't know how much one can reasonably expect in the way of a compare and contrast, outside of an educated guess. You might wish to poke around the manufacturer forums to see what their owners say about them. You may want to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That would help us flesh things out.

Rokobo likes this.