Dell Official 7970M Driver Released - 13 Jul 2012

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by ObserverJLin, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiaco

jiaco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Me too.

How much money does m$ pay dell to make them ask us to use IE to download a driver?

2. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Come on, guys. Always use Single File Download through the browser, not the Download Manager option. You know that. Came down cleanly via Chrome. Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]. Only the Download Manager option requires IE.

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tried on both FireFox and IE. Same thing. I always select single file download also. Will give it another try.

Edit: Still not working for me. Are there any benefits to using these drivers?

4. black-bean

black-bean Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    using the download manager from IE works for me.
    but i cancelled the download, and decided just sticking with 12.6 official from amd.

12.7 beta + cap giving me glitches in some games, reverting back to 12.6

5. ADegtyarev

ADegtyarev Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    srry if this is a noob question, but is the 12.7 beta also applicable for the 6990m, in particular this. Just want to be sure cause I usually screw up my system with improper updates. thanks

6. Quagmire LXIX

Quagmire LXIX Have Laptop, Will Travel!

Reputations:

AMD Catalyst ™ 12.7 Beta Driver

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6000M Series

7. StZu

StZu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    someone needs to put up a how to guide on properly updating gpu drivers.

i.e difference in updating w/ and w/o enduro? for r4 and r3 any different? just install and thats it?

sorry way to many questions. I installed 12.7 beta right over my stock drivers and started seing some crazy artifacts on the screen so i reinstalled windows.. because had no idea how to go back to stock

tl;dr noobs need guides

8. Xenn0X

Xenn0X Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    these new driver over the A00 are an improvement in BF3. if your already on 12.7 stick with it.

9. jiaco

jiaco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I second this. And posts such as this:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/675248-amd-7970m-drivers-new-2.html#post8700684

should be stickied somewhere as it took me a while to find it again once I finally managed to download the new drivers.

Honestly though, it should not be as hard as the post I linked to. Replacing 1 dell/amd driver with the next should not require 4-5 reboots and registry editing...should it?

10. Quagmire LXIX

Quagmire LXIX Have Laptop, Will Travel!

Reputations:
    Here's the best tip in the world to avoid that headache. Get a HDD image creator (Macrium Reflect is very good and has a free version) and make an image of your C drive before you update drivers. If the install goes fubar, just reload the image and you're cleanly back at step 1 (no windows reinstall needed). If all goes well, you can delete the HDD image and move on, or keep it, I keep images for a little while.

Absolutely not. imo that post will cause more problems and should only be followed if you have problems, not as a standard to install new drivers.

I custom updated 12.6 WHQL over the original dell package, no problem, then installed 12.7 beta over it, no problem.

Use the HDD image technique and you always have a fresh square 1 to return to if something bad happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.