!!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopardhunter7

leopardhunter7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had got a studio xps about a week back, which came with all the cds.... I returned it for a couple of cosmetic issues, and am expecting my replacement tomorrow or the day after. Dell says it will come with all the cds as usual... but then this is India...it might be different in the US... but I sincerely hope Dell is not going the HP way....

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, the thing is, even if you burn these disks you won't be able to perform a clean install with them. That's why it's more important than ever for potential Dell buyers to look closely at the online configurator and deselect any software options they don't want, such as AV and Office.

Please, let us know if your system contains disks will you? It'll be a great help.

3. ernstig01

ernstig01 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So there will be no possibility to request one time a copy of the original OS disk? That really sucks man!:mad: I liked it this way to get a fresh neat install of your OS without the bloatware.
    Again Dell gave me a reason to look around elsewhere for my next notebook purchase.

4. booboo12

Reputations:
    You can request a copy according to the website, but it will probably be additional cost.

5. capeta

capeta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OMG DELL !!!!!!!!!!!
    no more clean installs.... that sux so badly

Thanks for the tip.

6. leopardhunter7

leopardhunter7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sure thing :)... will update as soon as my lappie arrives. I am perturbed by this sudden whim on Dell's part too. They were really nice providing separate disks for all the softwares and drivers... why the hell are they turning around now? May be they sold one too many laptops and now want to decrease the number of customers a bit ;P

7. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looked around a bit at IdeaStorm for your post and didn't find it.:confused:

8. compsavy

compsavy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I highly doubt dell would charge you for CDs if you requested them once. The reason is Dell cannot assume a person is to make an image of their machine once they receive it. Like if a person does not make an image of the CD and their computer crashes under warranty, does that mean they are going to be charged extra b/c they didn't burn the CD? I don't think so. I think this is just a measure so that Dell can cut costs slightly so that the people who want the CDs must request it from Dell and those who never even open the CDs aren't wasted.

9. booboo12

Reputations:
    HP does, all the time in fact. <afjoicoaeimjew>

10. DragonQ

DragonQ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell told me that I'd get a recovery DVD with my Vostro laptop (which I should get tomorrow, yay) but no true Windows installation disc for a clean install.

The OEM ISOs of Windows 7 are downloadable though, and presumably legal since you have an OEM licence with the laptop anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.