1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

!!!Dell no longer providing OS disks and Resource CD's for consumer Win 7 systems!!!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by booboo12, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just a heads up, Dell's reverted back to making users burn DVD's that contain an image of the Recovery Partition, at least on new Windows 7 consumer systems (Inspiron, Studio, Studio XPS) This is a step backwards, but oh well. I'll be updating the system recovery guide to reflect these changes over the next day or so.

- Ricky :)

EDIT: This also affects business systems (Latitude, Vostro, Precision)

2. compsavy

compsavy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think they do not send it out by default, instead you must request them in which they will send out 1 copy for free. That is based on a few systems bought in the past, but I could be wrong.

3. ernstig01

ernstig01 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got a Studio 1749 three weeks ago still with the OS and driver disks. I don't know if I'm happy with this change of Dell's policy.

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Source...?

5. booboo12

Reputations:
    Here ya go, should have put it in the first post:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=353561&l=en&s=dhs<o></o>

6. tumnasgt

tumnasgt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's pretty well the only thing Dell had over all the other companies, I love getting a real Windows disk with no bloatware on it. My brother's ThinkPad still has quite a bit of bloatware on it because I didn't have a full, non-Dell Win7 disc to use to reload it, and now it's too much hassle.

7. atbnet

atbnet Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Lame! Dell is going the way of HP.

8. bigddybn

bigddybn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If a company is going to force me to buy a piece of software then they need to provide physcial media for that software.

I hate it when "somebody should sue" comes into a conversation but seriously someone needs to force the issue here. Either give consumers an EASY way to get their money back for an OS or be required to include physical BLOATWARE FREE media.

9. booboo12

Reputations:
    We can make our voices heard over at IdeaStorm |. I made a idea earlier myself regarding Dell's recent decision to force consumer system shoppers into choosing a bundle instead of choosing options a' la carte. Change might not happen right away but at least it can be marked as "acknowledged" by Dell, and other IdeaStorm users can vote it up.

10. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    So utterly disappointing that Dell is doing this. :(
    This was one of the nice things to have provided with your system. That is going to be a PIA to burn DVD Images to do a Clean Install. It was much simpler being able to it with the OS disc provided...

IdeaStorm sounds good! :)

Cin...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.