Dell M6700 with GTX 980m upgrade, Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spring1898, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Andrew Malsbury

Andrew Malsbury Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed a m6700 on eBay for just under $300 but it only has a k3000m and a 3520m... not great. But I love old dell laptops and especially the precision series. After doing some research, I concluded on a 980m and a 3820qm(for its lower tdp at 45w). But for me the optimus technology is interesting and wanted to know if it would work on the 980m. I understand that it is not functional when using the M5000M and that is basically a 980m on ballin drivers, but there are also a lot more people wanting to use their m67oo with a 980m rather than a M5000M. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. guillefix

guillefix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pretty cool that this ugprade works!
    I'm gonna try upgrade with this one too

Btw, anyone have a link to buy Dell Nvidia compatible X-Brackets? The only one I can find is this one but it doesn't come with screws.. Also I can't find a guide on how to install the X-bracket

Also are these thermal pads good?

Thanks for the help!

UPDATE: This X-bracket (with screws!) from Eurocom should work right? But damn, shipping from Canada is twice the price of the bracket....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. guillefix

guillefix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This one looks different to the 1st one on ebay, but similar to the one from Eurocom. Is this the right one?

4. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    Answering my own questions + some comments:
    - I bought that exact card I linked
    - Works out-of box. Windows 10 installed drivers automatically.
    - After test-fitting by screwing card into radiator out of notebook, I don't know what's the deal with thermal pads thickness - I measured all elements with caliper and they looks the same height to me. I only moved one of pads a bit - this one that on K3000m there's a single VRM coil (?) and 980m has double.
    - Temperatures - I got 68 degrees max while playing Crysis on max settings. I used Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste.
    - To remove x-bracket from K3000m I just simply pushed each screw thread with small screwdriver
    - LCD panel - just works with standard (LVDS) one.
    - UEFI shows Unknown video card with ~3.5GB of VRAM. In OS all 8GB are visible. That's with Optimus disabled. I'm not going to enable it as I'll run three 2.5k screens anyway...

Still a great price! For mine (3840QM / K3000m) I paid $650 equiv. and that was very cheap in Poland.

5. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    So far I noticed only a few problems with docking station (PR02x USB3) outputs.
    I run three screens - HP Z27i and 2x Dell U2715h. All three are 2560x1440 and HP runs from DP, Dells are daisy-chained into single DP. Issues are when booting notebook:
    - when I boot it with lid closed, all external screens are dark; after I open the lid/undock notebook internal LCD is dark - all I can do is to turn it off. As driver reset changes nothing, it may be hanging as well.
    - boot with lid open - sometimes it boots with HP as secondary display and notebook as primary one, sometimes as it supposed to be.
    - after driver reset (CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B) it often resets into HP 2560x1440, dell 1920x1080 (one directly connected), internal display 1920x1080 and set as primary.
    - after undocking screen configuration won't update until I'll put it in sleep and wake again.

Has anyone experienced (and solved) similar issues? Optimus is disabled, maybe it will help?
    I'm using driver from Windows Update.

[e] Problems are even with latest driver from nvidia.com. Those 'all monitors dark' moments are BSODs. Yesterday I had them each time I docked my laptop... until I swapped displayports used for each monitor. Which makes no sense for me...

On my workplace I have PR03x USB2 version with two screens connected via DVI and VGA (and DVI is indeed internally handled through DP) and I had no problems at all.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I presume it's because there's a limit on how much bandwidth a single DP 1.2 output can provide.

https://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

BTW, when I recently upgraded my Dell M6700 with 980M to Windows 10, I just downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia site and installed them without any inf file mods (which were a necessity on Windows 7 and I think even on the initial Windows 10 release I installed to register my upgrade).

When did this become a thing?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  7. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup, and it can handle up to two 2560x1600 or four 1920x1200 displays from single port. I'm running two 2560x1440 and it should be perfectly fine.
    I'm going to try with Optimus, maybe Intel will handle those outputs better.

8. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    After some checking it seems to be caused by DP MST handling. After I connected all monitors directly to notebook, problems disappeared. Unfortunately that means that I need to have one screen connected directly to notebooks DP since AFAIK dock can drive only two of DP/DVI outputs at same time (correct me if I'm wrong as Z27i has dual-link DVI input)

BTW: even with Optimus turned on (works out-of box), after docking and using dock outputs Win10 switches completely to Nvidia graphics.

[e] I just checked - the moment I plug DP, corresponding DVI is disabled. This means that unless nVidia fixes drivers, DP MST is unusable - at least for me.

[e] Probably found the reason - firmware of MST controller in dock. Keyword "VMM3320" leads to ton of topics where people had problems with different laptops running E-Dock's.
    But firmware upgrade requires Latitude Exxxx, I need to find someone with such model and try to upgrade fw in my dock.
    Indeed I also have occasional screen flickering, both on PR02x with DP monitors and PR03x with VGA + DVI one.

[e] Checked and docking stations doesn't contain any MST hub inside. Unfortunately that means that there's no fix for M6700.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. xxtankmasterx

xxtankmasterx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I am new to the form. Sorry for the late reply to this thread.

I just picked up a M6700 with a 3840qm, 32 gb ram, k3000m and a 1tb SSD for 350. I am looking to replace the GPU in the laptop, but I am having trouble finding good places to purchase these cards from. All of the places I have seen so far are asking 700+ for a 970m, and i have seen 980m in excess of $1000. Which makes no sense to me.

10. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went through ebay when I did my upgrade.
    Make sure that you are getting the alienware version, as this one will work out of the box and install the Nvidia drivers without any hassle.

The cheapest Alienware GTX 980M on ebay is currently a pre-owned one : $399.00 + $3.50 and ships from Mississippi
    The Cheapest New one ships from china and claims to be alienware compatible for $426.00 and $8.00 shipping

This is a very nice upgrade for the M7600. I run pretty much every game on maxed out settings as 1080p.

deltamind and xxtankmasterx like this.