Dell M6700 with GTX 980m upgrade, Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spring1898, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Andrew Malsbury

Andrew Malsbury Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed a m6700 on eBay for just under $300 but it only has a k3000m and a 3520m... not great. But I love old dell laptops and especially the precision series. After doing some research, I concluded on a 980m and a 3820qm(for its lower tdp at 45w). But for me the optimus technology is interesting and wanted to know if it would work on the 980m. I understand that it is not functional when using the M5000M and that is basically a 980m on ballin drivers, but there are also a lot more people wanting to use their m67oo with a 980m rather than a M5000M. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. guillefix

guillefix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pretty cool that this ugprade works!
    I'm gonna try upgrade with this one too

Btw, anyone have a link to buy Dell Nvidia compatible X-Brackets? The only one I can find is this one but it doesn't come with screws.. Also I can't find a guide on how to install the X-bracket

Also are these thermal pads good?

Thanks for the help!

UPDATE: This X-bracket (with screws!) from Eurocom should work right? But damn, shipping from Canada is twice the price of the bracket....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 9:36 AM
  3. guillefix

guillefix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This one looks different to the 1st one on ebay, but similar to the one from Eurocom. Is this the right one?

4. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    Answering my own questions + some comments:
    - I bought that exact card I linked
    - Works out-of box. Windows 10 installed drivers automatically.
    - After test-fitting by screwing card into radiator out of notebook, I don't know what's the deal with thermal pads thickness - I measured all elements with caliper and they looks the same height to me. I only moved one of pads a bit - this one that on K3000m there's a single VRM coil (?) and 980m has double.
    - Temperatures - I got 68 degrees max while playing Crysis on max settings. I used Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste.
    - To remove x-bracket from K3000m I just simply pushed each screw thread with small screwdriver
    - LCD panel - just works with standard (LVDS) one.
    - UEFI shows Unknown video card with ~3.5GB of VRAM. In OS all 8GB are visible. That's with Optimus disabled. I'm not going to enable it as I'll run three 2.5k screens anyway...

Still a great price! For mine (3840QM / K3000m) I paid $650 equiv. and that was very cheap in Poland.