Dell M6700 with GTX 980m upgrade, Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spring1898, Mar 10, 2016.

1. calvin32012

calvin32012 Newbie

Reputations:

2. calvin32012

calvin32012 Newbie

Reputations:
    HI

For those who upgraded M6700 to a gtx 980m. Had the heatsink to be modded? Thanks in advance.

3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Heatsink no, but you have to modify/add some thermal pads for the extra inductor unit.

4. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After reading about everyone's experiences with upgrading the GPU in the Precision M6700, I decided to go for it.

Here are a couple of helpful tips going from a Nvidia Quadro card to the GTX 980M 8GB:
    1. Purchase some 1.5mm thick thermal pad material (I bought a 100mm x 15mm piece and it was more than enough)
    2. Get a Dell Nvidia compatible X-Bracket. My card came with the Sager/Clevo version, so I ended up prying the old one off of my K5000M. (Do not try using the Non-Dell version!)
    3. Make sure you have enough thermal paste on hand for both the GPU and CPU as the CPU heatsink needs to be removed before the GPU heatsink.
    Make sure to clean all of the old thermal paste off of the heatsinks and CPU before applying new paste.
    4. This is also a good opportunity to clean the dust out of your heatsinks and fans.

The card I bough was New and claimed compatibility with Alienware (Dell) machines.
    After installation it showed in the Bois as unknown 8GB GPU as expected.
    I hate Optimus and have always had it disabled, so I will not be using it on this card either.
    Booted into Windows 10 Pro and decided to try installing the GPU drivers without modding them.
    Install completed with no errors and with the GPU fully functioning.

With this GPU my Precision M6700 can now max out the graphics settings on most games @ 1080p
    Newest game I've tried so far is Mass Effect Andromeda locked at 1080p with Max Settings.
    GPU idles at 35c gets up to 72c under full load while maintaining a 1126Mhz boost clock

Redhood and MahmoudDewy like this.
  5. Redhood

Redhood Newbie

Reputations:

So no other mods necessary? Awesome write up! Do you think it will be equally as straight forward in a M6800?

6. JamesJAB

Reputations:
    I don't see why you would have any problems, but you should probably look at posts that deal with GPU upgrades on your exact model. (all of the tips that I listed above should still be relevant for your model)

7. Redhood

Redhood Newbie

Reputations:

Awesome thanks! One last thing. Did you use the 1.5mm thermal pads for the whole card?

8. JamesJAB

Reputations:
    Some of the pads are 1mm and some are 1.5mm thickness. The one that needs to be replaced with a larger one is 1.5mm when going from a Kx000M or a Kxx00M to a GTX 980M

9. Ciemnosc

Ciemnosc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I am now owner of this awesome machine, i have some questions about graphic card update

1. I wanna update graphic card to this geforce gtx 980m, so what model of this PCB should be ? For example on this auction:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevo-Alie...324674?hash=item3d3ae88f82:g:PksAAOSwRXRZSoU2
    PCB have this numbers :N16E-GX-A1. Will be good?

For Dell M4600 when you wanna update to firepro m5100 PCB model is very important.

2. Is Optimus working?

3. What kind of BIOS version should i install?

10. kitor

kitor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I just want to upgrade my M6700 to 980m. There are a few card sources - Clevo, MSI, Alienware (others?). All of them look pretty the same to me. Are there any clues which one should I look for?
    Eg. this one looks almost the same as Clevo: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL...16E-GX-A1-Video-Graphic-Card/32816559158.html

What about LCD panel compatibility? I have "standard" 1080p screen, not 3dVision / PremierColor ones.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018