Dell M6700 with GTX 980m upgrade, Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spring1898, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxime506

maxime506 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1060 has more potential though. 16nm vs 980m's 28nm process and that thing clocks like a beast (1700 w/ boost vs 1127 w/ boost for GTX 980m). I'm happy with the 980m though. Only that card doesn't overclock well in m6700 while others have crazy core clocks like 1300+ or even 1400 with prema mod and some juice. My card have pretty decent Asics of 75%, it just doesn't really like OC and screen went white after 10 mins of gaming with a merely +100 core and +200 Mem...

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are your temperatures like? Mine goes over the top sometimes and throttles.

3. maxime506

Reputations:
    @ijozic my temp never goes above 70c without overclock. But somehow it just doesn't like overclock and have all sort of errors from games stopped working to black screen.

Make sure you swap the x-bracket from your old card to the 980m though. Whatever 980m cards are their x-bracket's screwholes are more protruded and the heaksink would have a huge gap from the gpu die. Normally maxwell cards runs very cool even for the top notch 980m. I used to have a 780m and it can go as high as 82c but that's when I overclocked that card to 1ghz core.

It's kinda a disappointment I cannot squeeze more juice from 980m. Even so, the 980m beats my overclocked 780m by a landslide.

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting. This is on M6700 and ultra performance power profile? Which vBIOS are you using?

I did swap the x-bracket as the one which came with the Alienware 980M wasn't compatible IIRC.

I got some new paste and a new GPU fan so hopefully the reassembly will help with the temps as they can reach up to 87 and cause some throttling in demanding games.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    maxime506 likes this.
  5. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, that's odd. I was changing the GPU fan and CPU heatsink so decided to repaste the GPU and CPU with GC Extreme. I messed up the CPU heatsink upgrade as I guess the VRM pads were 1,5 mm, but I only had 1,0 mm on me so I doubled them and I suspect the heatsink is perhaps not straight on the CPU now. The max CPU temps dropped down by 10 degrees with the stronger heatsink, but I think the idle temps went up and I can see some core difference occasionally. What a waste of expensive Gelid thermal pads. I ordered some cheaper Phobiya's 1,5mm to replace the pads on the CPU heatsink so hopefully the heatsink won't get warped in the meantime.

But, the GPU temps went down considerably. I even tried Prema's vBIOS and temps didn't go over 70 on max fan power setting, which is much better than the 87 degrees I was reaching in any more demanding game. I get the impression that my 980M temps were lower when I upgraded, but then quickly started overheating, not sure why. Is it possible that it's due to the rather old MX-2 paste I had at hand and used for my upgrade? I didn't notice anything wrong with the old installation when I disassembled the GPU heatsink, hence why I suspect the paste if such degradation is possible.

In any case, I'm quite pleased with the results. Plus, the M6700 construction is pretty good, it's all metal on the inside so it handles multiple upgrades with ease. I just need to fix the CPU heatsink results as the fans tend to run more often in idle than they used to.

No reason to replace the laptop then, especially if I can fit one of those Quadro P5000 (if their MXM design is really exactly the same as the 980M). Perhaps that Aetina 1070 MXM can fit too. It has more inductors, but they are much smaller than the big units on 980M so perhaps no heatsink mod is required (as their is some ridge in the middle of the heatsink, which goes over the VRM area between the large inductors on the Kepler and Maxwell cards). Because of that ridge, the Zotac/Gecube card wouldn't fit I presume without getting it off with a dremel first.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. maxime506

Reputations:
    Interesting, why using thermal pad on CPU should it be thermal paste?

MX-2 is a bit old. I'm using MX-4 on my CPU and it runs like a charm (3.3Ghz under med-heavy load). GPU side was tricky. I agreed that gelid is a waste of money even on the memory chips and vrm modules, because previously I use them on 780m and the pads got hardened and sticked on the components, and I end up tearing the pads off and changed them into some generic pads. I remember i'm using 1.5mm on memory chips and 2mm on other components. The new pads have good contacts though.

The power supply is tricky too. In order to overclock 200 core I have to dial the core voltage to 1.1625v (prema has overvolted .0625 already). Though initially stable, my 240w brick cannot take that and just cut off all the juice and I have to replug it. Using a meter I got 210w under load with stock clock and prema mod, so the overclock is a bit more power hungry.

7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, the thermal pad was not used for the CPU itself, but for the chipset and VRM of the CPU heatsink. But 2 mm (2x1) might be too thick compared to the stock pad thickness and when I tried to mount it with only one layer of 1 mm, I could see that the some VRM chips were not making an imprint so the contact was not good enough.

I didn't have problems with MX-2 before and it didn't harden or anything; I just can't explain the difference in temperatures except if spreading the paste all over the GPU created some hot air pockets, but I never encountered such an issue before either. This time with GC Extreme paste I just applied a small amount to the middle of the core.

I also used the Gelid pads for those big inductor chips on the GPU as the one I initially used on the 980M hardened and fell apart when removing the GPU. So, I guess I can expect a similar thing with these then. I better get some cheaper 2,5 mm arctic cooling or something to have at hand if I need to remove the GPU heatsink again.

8. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FYI all, athina doesnt sell to end users.. the only possibility for a MXM 1070 would be the gecube standard module.

9. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IIRC, the Gecube design looked like the card in Zotac En1070 (multiple large inductor chips rather than the three on 980M cards or two on Kepler cards) which is a no-go for the Dell heatsink without modding it (scraping off this ridge in the middle of the VRM related part).

Regarding my earlier temperature issue, I now presume it was due to some noname thermal pad (it wasn't that cheap though price-wise) I used for the two inductors on left side (as the stock pads on the heatsink set for the Kepler card wouldn't cover the two inductors, but just one or both partly), rather than the MX-2 paste. I found it quite dry and foamy when I was repasting the card, so perhaps it hardened and got larger and raised the heatsink slightly on that corner reducing the main contact with the GPU itself. I replaced it and the stock one on the other side with the Gelid pads, hopefully they won't do a similar thing with time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had asked them last month or the month before and they were willing to sell they're non spec 1070 for $900

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.