Dell M4400 - very high temp on a CPU!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Andreych, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreych

Andreych Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I have problem with my Dell M4400 it very hot (CPU temp ~ 50C), my system - Q9100, FX770 etc. I think have problem with heatsink systems. What I do? Perhaps, some people have Portable M4400 with CUP like me (Q9100 or QX9300). If some people have this CPU help me, please. Which serial number heatsink you have in your portable systems with CPU Q9100 or QX9300. I must change it but I don`t know serial number. Thank you.
    My location UA.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The temperature sensors in the Intel Core 2 based CPUs are not very accurate, especially at idle. They can have as much as +/- 10C of error at idle. How are your temperatures when fully loaded?

3. JimGoose

JimGoose Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    quad-cores will run hotter than dual-cores... use hardware monitor and make sure to set the appropriate TJMax value in the .ini file

intel's processor finder or a quick google search will tell you what the max temp. is for your processor, enter that in the .ini file in the "TJMax" field where you installed Hardware Monitor

4. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    50C is a pretty good CPU temperature, especially if you have a quad core. Most CPUs will be fine up to 100C, but if you're worried, the only thing I would recommend is replacing the grease with Arctic Silver 5. There's no need to replace the heatsink or anything too dramatic.

5. Andreych

Andreych Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for answer! 50-55C when a system no-load but when the system full load I have from 85 till 95C and I stop a program (monitoring temp: CPUID Hardware Monitor and Real Temp, TJMax=100C for my CPU Q9100 and S&M program for load my CPU on full). That`s why I search part number of heatsink where install Intel Quad Q9100. That is why I search a Part Number for heatsink which work with Q9100 or QX9300 CPUs better than my system. Thank you.

Thank you for answer! I`m install software ( CPUID Hardware Monitor and Real Temp) and than change .ini file TJMax=100C for my CPU Q9100. No-load 50-55C, full load 85-95C. Thank you.

Thank you for answer! I use Zalman Thermal Grease (Zalman ZM-STG1 - Thermal Conductivity 4W/mK) for Q9100, FX770M ect sys. No-load 50-55C, full load 85-95C. Maybe you know better then ZM-STG1, maybe Arctic Silver 5 you wrote or no. Please answer me. Thank you.

6. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That grease seems to be applied by brushing it on, I'm not sure how effective that would be...I've never heard of that kind of application method before.

Idling at 50-55C isn't too bad, I've had Core 2 Duo's idle around those temperatures before. I don't have any experience with quad core, but considering that it uses more power, I think it's nothing to worry about.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    95C seems hot under load. Esp if 100C is max temp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.