Dell Latitude X1 Ultraportable Laptop Released (pics, specs)

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d-roC

d-roC Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have to agree that not having an optical drive built in is a failing here. But otherwise this is a solid offering. It is also priced competively. If I were in the market for one, this would get a long long look.

Dell Inspiron 600m + Tungsten T5 + Sony-Ericsson T616 = Mobile Computer Consultant and Website Designer

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The X1 is pretty hot in general, especially since it's a Latitude and not an Inspiron. My take echos some of the thoughts already posted. The lack of the lastest ULV PM chip is silly, hopefully this will be an option soon. There is a measurable performance improvement, so this is pretty important to me. The external optical is a convenience issue more than anything else. Having to drag a drive with you, is, well...a drag. The integrated Bluetooth is nice. Most campnies with small ntoebooks don't include it because of interference with the WiFi, seems like Dell is comfortable with this problem. Lastly, the lack of any card readers is a downer since most of the competition offers something along this line.

Overall I think it will sell quite well, Dell needed something like this and went to Samsung, who makes great notebooks, to get it. Just a shame that Dell never has very good coupons or deals on Latitudes.

Brian

www.BargainPDA.com | www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReviewSpot.com

3. qwester

qwester Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just missed that this was a latitude! [:eek:)]
    I just looked at the price and assumed that you would at least get $200 off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    N6010: P4M 3.2G, 512MB Dual 333MHz, 60GB 7200RPM, ATI 9700M, 17" WXGA+
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Aspects

Aspects Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered the latitude x1 on dell's website. Just got the 512mem and i was good to go. I wonder how long ill be waiting though.

5. Packrat

Packrat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    who has a built-in cd/cvd drive on a 2.5lb laptop. If you want to watch a dvd rip it to the hard drive.

you could get rid of the PCMCIA slot too. With network built into every new laptop why do we still have PCMCIA taking up space. About as useful as a serial port.

6. LaZzZy_Dude

LaZzZy_Dude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As for serial port...it has industrial purpose...but if a simple manager and will never go on the " field" serial port is no use...

7. leobag

leobag Newbie

Reputations:
    The Samsung version shows the SD card reader is also a memory stick reader (http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/page/2976full.jpg)... does this mean that the Dell can do it? (is it strange that the SD card slot is the same as the memory stick?)

Also... when are we gonna get it in RED?!
    http://www.samsung.com/he/products/notebookcomputer/q_series/images/q30_front.jpg
    +

Leo
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  8. ivwshane

ivwshane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The X1 looks great and I like all the specs except: slower cpu compared to the x300; all hard drive options are 4500rpm only:( (at least that's upgradeable) but the deal breaker for me is a lack of a pcmcia slot (I need this for my gprs/edge card).

It says that the case has a tougher lcd lid to protect it better but what is the case made of? plastic? Or metal like the x300?

Also if I'm looking to get some recomendations on a laptop with certain requirements, what forum should I use (I have no brand in mind).

Thanks

9. wabe

wabe Newbie

Reputations:
    Is the X1 display bright as the q30 screen?
    I like this type of screens but I dont know if Dell X1 uses it.

10. decumcp

decumcp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by wabe

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.