Dell Latitude E6410 and E6510 now available

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by John Ratsey, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Until there is some better information I would assume similar to the E6400 with a similar configuration. ie 4 to 5 hours with a 6 cell battery.

John

2. Ahbeyvuhgehduh

Ahbeyvuhgehduh Lost in contemplation....

Reputations:
    Not bad battery life from a 6 cell imo....

3. NCarlson

NCarlson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did a tiny bit o' research...

I did find that the older P-series (Penryn) in the E6400 have a TDP of 25 watts, but the newer core i5 mobile processors (and the available dual-core i7) have a TDP of 35. So, this is a negative in power usage. However what needs clarification is whether this the max TDP accounting for power usage when turbo mode is enabled. So, I assume the average watt usage will be much lower than 35 watts, when performing very light tasks such as web browsing, word processing, etc.

DDR3 RAM is rated for less voltage than DDR2, but I *assume* that this difference is negligible.

The older nVidia Quadro NVS 160m has a TDP of 12 watts. However, in the E6410 the NVS 3100m has a TDP of 14 watts.

So, this being said, I'm not quite sure how the E6410 could be an improvement over the E6400 power-wise, apart from what I have mentioned here.

4. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    You also need to account for the fact that there is the memory controller and IGP on board the chip.

5. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    Well, for one thing, TDP is not power consumption. TDP (Thermal Design Power) is a measure of how much _heat_ a component puts out at maximum load, and thus how much heat the cooling system needs to dissipate. Thus, depending on the efficiency of the component involved, 2 components with the same TDP could still have vastly different power requirements.

As well, for the new i-series chips, what used to be the northbridge (the memory controller) on the motherboard of the old C2 series chips is now integrated directly into the CPU chip itself. Depending on the exact chipset, the northbridge could easily account for 5-10 watts of TDP (PM45 is about 7 watts, for example).

6. naton

naton Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Anandtech has made a useful comparison of power consumption.

John

8. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    I usually like Anandtech articles, but I'm less than sure this is a good test in this particular instance. First of all, they're comparing a pre-production Asus K42 to a HP (exact model not listed). Even though they tried to keep things as similar as possible, simply setting equal brightness levels on both machines almost certainly won't result in equal power draws (since I kind of doubt both machines use the same screen). Still, it's probably not bad for a ballpark figure, but... enh.

9. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    i wonder when the E4310 will come out? hmm

10. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Probably in a couple of months when the i7 ULV comes out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.