Dell Latitude DPC Latency Issues

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ziesemer, Jan 14, 2009.

?

What have you determined to be the cause of the DPC Latency Issues, if anything?

1. Nothing - still having issues.

22.7%
  2. Video card / GPU

5.5%
  3. Intel Matrix Storage Manager - Driver

35.5%
  4. Intel Matrix Storage Manager - Software

17.3%
  5. eSATA

4.5%
  6. Wireless / 802.11

26.4%
  7. Bluetooth

2.7%
  8. Optical Drive / DVD

22.7%
  9. Audio card

0.9%
  10. Smartcard reader

0.9%
  11. ExpressCard

0.9%
  12. PC Card / PCMCIA

0.9%
  13. Firewire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Suspend / sleep issues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. WebCam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Fingerprint Reader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Pointing Devices

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. USB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Other #1

7.3%
  20. Other #2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Other #3

0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziesemer

ziesemer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm starting this thread to try to get a better handle on what is causing these DPC latency issues.

Please reserve this thread for issues that can be observed by using Thesycon's DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) or a similar tool.

Here are some links to threads where this has already been discussed:

As I've mentioned in the other threads, there are a lot of people here with seemingly identical issues - even though the underlying causes may vary. Please be sure to open support tickets with Dell Support to get them to address this issue: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/contact_technical_support

Include a link to this thread so they can see scope of this issue, and realize that eventually these comments will start scaring people away from the Dell line if these issues aren't fixed soon, if they haven't already. If you can't stand the traditional phone support, use the online chat or email options.

Finally, please consider answering the poll to help track any possible solutions.

If replying, please include a comprehensive list of system specifications. Vista or XP? 32-bit or 64-bit? Dell or Intel WI-FI? Intel or Nvidia graphics? Webcam or fingerprint reader? Etc., etc...

Edit: Just found this official Dell blog at http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...hive/2009/11/18/dell-dpc-latency-and-you.aspx, which includes the following update from Dell-John B on February 12:

Thanks!!

2. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    specs in sig

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Latest (8.7) Intel matrix storage driver / manager + either ODD or eSATA HDD causes latency of about 9ms.

However, I get no noticeable adverse side effects from this high latency.

John

4. wasabah

wasabah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I voted Other. I still can't pin down the culprit in my case.

5. 2k5.lexi

2k5.lexi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From German Forum:

Follow the Link, at 1/3 of the page are the intel managers. Anyone try the A01/A02 versions and spread the Link if it works. Thanks Guys!

6. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will go ahead and try A02 right now.

7. ziesemer

ziesemer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the moment, my best solution - though not perfect - has also been disabling the "media bay" in the BIOS, which should be about the same as removing the optical drive. While still enabled, my DPC latencies average 8000+ µs. While disabled, I average about 500 µs, but still have more occasional yellow spikes (above 1000 µs) than I'd care for, and even sporadic red spikes (above 2000 µs) - at least once every 30 seconds.

This is on my Latitude E6500, with the A02 Intel Storage Matrix manager, A11 BIOS, and all the other latest drivers and updates. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

8. LPTP-LVR

LPTP-LVR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The onboard LAN is missing from the list. For me it got better after disabling the DVD/modular bay but the issue only disappeared after also disabling onboard LAN.

I'm running latest IMSM (8.7), A02 BIOS for m4400 (latest is A11), all latest drivers, issues are fixed in both XP and Vista ultimate 64

9. CheetahHeels

CheetahHeels Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly, this is the major reason I couldn't buy an E6400. :( I wanted to, but high DPC latency makes a hostile environment for audio recording (I'm a music major).

Kudos to you all for being persistent—I hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Dell, I hope you're listening.

10. boorns

boorns Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Modular bay, onboard lan, and the wireless card (consistent high spikes in intervals of 30-60 seconds).

I have high DPC latency, but do not have any video/audio problems. But I have the M4400. Contacted Dell and their answer was to wait for new drivers/firmware/etc. Not very helpful news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.