1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell Latitude D620 Review (pics, specs) Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The <a href="/scripts/redirect.asp?country=us&merchantPricingID=4541451&merchantID=275087&productID=15537" target=_blank>Dell Latitude D620</a> is a 14-inch widescreen business notebook equipped with the latest Intel Core Duo processor. The D620 replaces the D610 and provides quite an overhaul in both design change and internal components. The new industrial charcoal grey and black look of the D620 conveys its strong build, which Dell calls "Road Ready", and with a slew of available built-in wireless communications this notebook is road ready in more ways than one.<br /><br />Read the full content of this Article: <strong><a href='http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2846'>Dell Latitude D620 Review (pics, specs)</a></strong><br /><br />

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015 at 10:22 PM
  2. unrealii

unrealii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    nice review! How much did that thing cost?

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, prices start at $1099 for a Core Solo configuration, I got this from Dell as a loaner and I believe the price would be about $2,000 through Dell Business. They'll be up for sale in the next few hours on Dell.com

4. Amber

Amber Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It really is a nice machine, and I so want one. *must hide credit cards*

One thing that bothers me is the 9 cell battery. I've never seen a laptop that has the 9 cell sticking out the front.

I also find it a bit strange that the put a PCMCIA slot on the latitudes, but the new Inspirons have the express slot :confused: I figured dell would stay consistent and put an express slot in the latitudes.

5. UFG

UFG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Putting laptops on the edge of the roofs of tall buildings is always a good idea! ;)

6. unr1

unr1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    saw this on Google News and sure enough I checked notebookreview.com

glad to see one more widescreen notebook on the market :D

7. fsacj

fsacj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Steller review! I like that Dell is able to make durable notebooks, and the looks aint bad either. The 9-cell bettery sure is wierd though. I guess it's a kind of "bonus" palm rest.

8. unr1

unr1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe there is an error in the pic stated:

"Pictured is the Dell D620 on the left next to a 14.1" screen ThinkPad T43, notice the lower profile of the D620 but wider body (view large image)"

9. goin'mobile

goin'mobile Newbie

Reputations:
    I think they nailed everyting correctly except....the speaker. Business travelers do listen to audio and video, especially in hotel rooms. Why go down to a 3 slit mono speaker when even the thinkpad has 2 speaker ports. Was there no room in the case? I am also hoping there is some sort of PCMCIA to Express Card adpater if possible coming from some vendor in the neat future. Does anyone know if the D820 will have at least 2 speaker ports?

10. santasballz

santasballz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does this have that annoying earphone jack buzzing thing like the D610 did?

thx

11. Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    yeah, you would think there'd be a little more consistency. However, with the Dell Inspiron line I think they went ExpressCard to save on costs (it's about $5 cheaper to put in Express Card versus PCMCIA believe it or no) and with the Latitude line they shied away from Express Card because they have stodgy business customers to please who like slow change -- and there's so few Express Card accessories still, i.e. no wireless adapter still for the EC. All the same, the ThinkPad has both slots and I think Dell could have done that. But they know their customer base and I'm sure their pleasing the most possible.

12. Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    No buzzing, I tested for that as I knew it would be a question -- under the Speakers section

"The good news is that the much complained about headphone hissing noise experienced with the D610 seems to be gone with the D620. I listened to music CDs while working on the D620 and experienced no odd background noises that distorted the music, it was a clean listening experience."

13. Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    I'm not sure on the D820 question, but should be on Dell's site real soon.

I agree, business travelers do like to unwind as well and listen to music. I guess it's a way of keeping price down or something, that battery at the front might have been the real problem in fitting another speaker and providing stereo sound.

There will be a caddy that lets you put ExpressCard/34 accessories into the PCMCIA slot, but not ExpressCard/54 (the standard size). And I would assume that since it's a caddy solution you lose the speed benefit of a pure ExpressCard/34 solution since it depends on the PCMCIA architecture still. Bummer.

14. Andrew Baxter

Reputations:
    oh brother, what a goof -- thanks for catching it, fixing that now...

15. Bastek

Bastek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No reference was made on the missing firewire port, which now is present on most business notebooks. I'm dissapointed.

16. lazybum131

lazybum131 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They've finally changed the trackpoint cap, how was it compared to the Thinkpad's trackpoint? Will Dell be offering different cap types like Lenovo/IBM does?

It's gonna be the first widescreen 14" that offers WXGA+ screens which is definitely a good thing IMO. But D600 and D610 SXGA+ users still have to give up 150 vertical pixels for only 40 extra horizontal ones. They really aren't gaining much for side-to-side window viewing.

No S-Video is a bummer, especially since the D600 and D610 both have it and there's plenty of space at the back for one.

Battery life seems a bit low, this review at Laptop has it clocked at 4:09 with wireless on. I think they used mobilemark 2005 for battery life testing.

17. draculr

draculr Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you get such a bad battery life when every other review is getting 4+ hours with a 6 cell?

"Battery life from the included six-cell battery was a good 4 hours and 25
    minutes. The optional nine-cell battery ($99 preconfigured) should provide up to seven hours of runtime."

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Dell-Latitude-D620.htm

and..

"It seems that the D620 won't disappoint in terms of battery life either. I was able to run some initial battery tests on the unit and the system yielded a lengthy time of 4 hours and 29 minutes&#8212;not too bad for a notebook this thin and light. Expect prices to start at $1,951."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1943729,00.asp

You can also swap out the CD drive for another 6 cell battery giving you at the very least 7 hours with 6+6cells.

Also, any reason why no one has tested a D620 with an nvidia card yet?

Appreciate the review though, nice pics :)

18. skywalker

skywalker Business Notebook FTW!!

Reputations:
    Another great notebook from Dell, I'd like to see Dell's screen without terrible light leakage. IBM That's pity,T43's screen much better than Dell's but overall I like design of this D620 .

19. mmeier

mmeier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thx for the nice review !!

a few questions:

-did you dismantle the HDD! What is the Strike zone exactly ? rubber pads around the HDD?? or just a marketing gag?

- spill proof keyboard ? is it realy sealted?

- sturdiness: did put the odd out of the bay and squeeze the housing. this was the latitude weakness for years!!

thx:cool:

20. chase17

chase17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like the design of this notebook. The screen being "washed out" is a downer.