Dell Latitude 5500 or 5501 and Dell Vostro 5590

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by forman, Jan 2, 2020.

1. forman

forman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to purchase a 15.6" laptop business class laptop for web surfing and email (no gaming). I currently have an older Latitude E5530 and was considering getting another Latitude, possibly a 5500 or 5501. However, I've noticed that the Dell Vostro 5590 is about have the price of the Latitudes. Is the Vostro 5590 a decent laptop ? How's is the build quality ? There's not a whole lot of info on the web regarding Vostros which concerns me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Vostros are lower-quality machines, basically Dell's lowest-end business lineup. They are plastic, where the Latitude 5500 incorporates some metal. The Latitude 7000 series is even better, but Dell doesn't make a 15.6" version. (You'd have to step up to a Precision Mobile Workstation.)

I'd spend the extra on the Latitude for peace of mind. If you're in the US, use the Dell Outlet (that's a link to our guide) to save yourself some money. Avoid the ones with the low quality 1366x768 screens.
    Beyond that, you might want to fill out our FAQ so we can give targeted advice.

Charles

3. forman

forman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. Would you recommend the Latitude 5501 over the Latitude 5500 ? The prices in the Dell Outlet are comparable and I know that the 5501 has the i5-9400H (9th Gen) processor while the 5500 only has the i5-8265U (8th Gen) processor. Thanks.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Given the usage, that won't make a lick of difference.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Agreed the CPU won't matter.

Another notebook to consider is an HP EliteBook 850 from the HP Outlet. I think it's better built than the Latitude 5000 series, and there shouldn't be much of a difference in price. See the guide I linked in my last post.

Charles