1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dell Inspiron e1505 Review (pics, specs) Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by fsacj, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TakMusashi

TakMusashi Newbie

When I called Dell, I told them I had just opened the box yesterday and immediately after booting into windows noticed 3 problems.

Problems:
    1.) Diagonal discolored, textured lines across the entire screen.
    2.) Dim spots in the lower left and lower right corners of the screen.
    3.) Small dent on the case just to the left of the keyboard.

All of these were 3 things I felt were problems with the product I received. They gave me 2 options, an exchange or a refund, but were quick to suggest that the exchange would be a better deal for me. They reasoned that with a replacement, they would cover shipping charges, but with a return, I would have to pay to have the product shipped back to their facilities.

Due to their 21 day return policy, I chose to return the product and will likely be getting a Macbook (thanks to the Boot Camp program :D which works amazingly well and is easy to set up by the way. My friend has a macbook pro and showed it off to me today). I really did not want to run the risk of going through multiple exchanges and a possibility of not being permitted to return my purchase.

I hope this helps.

2. philbur99

philbur99 Newbie

Hello all,

Is the 1505 32-bit or 64-bit architechture?

Thanks,

Philbur

3. FalsePerc

FalsePerc Notebook Guru

Long Island, New York, USA, Earth, Milky Way, etc.
    IIRC, There is not currently a 64-bit Notebook that also runs on two cores.

Mike

4. earthling

earthling Newbie

fsacj .... Which version of the Super Pi program do you use?? Do you have the link to the download website?? Just wan tto compare my own laptop!

5. nicedog

nicedog Newbie

Hi, a few questions about my e1505

1. my 9-cell battery lasts only 4 hours. Is this normal?
    2. x1300 128MB shows only 64MB in the bios. Why?

here's my hardware info

duo core 1.83ghz
    WSXGA TrueBrite 15.4"
    1GB ram
    40GB HD
    X1300 128MB
    DVD+RW
    802.11g + Bluetooth

Thanks!

6. Aero

Aero PC/Mac...Whatever works! NBR Reviewer

1) Problem with XP and Duo Core...still not resolved - Everyone with a duo core is facing this.
    2) Its probably 64mb dedicated and 64mb shared.

7. E1505TRINI

E1505TRINI Newbie

Hey people, my Inspiron E1505 is shipping tomorrow from Dell, hopefully i should get it in 3 days. You all can expect some unbias reviews from me within the next few days. I ordered WXGA+, 1GB RAM, 40GB, 3yrs WRTY CC. will let allyuh know how it wokin.

8. toke513

toke513 Newbie

Just wondering about the WXGA TrueLife. From what I hear everyone likes it. Im just wondering if it is much easier to scratch than a standard screen? Input from anyone who has one will be appericated. Thanks

Dave

9. FalsePerc

FalsePerc Notebook Guru

Long Island, New York, USA, Earth, Milky Way, etc.
    Not in my experience. I had the privilage of seeing a matte screen on this model a few days after I received my notebook (with truelife). The difference was astounding. Glossy is the way to go!

Mike

10. Archon810

Archon810 Notebook Enthusiast

I have the EXACT same problem as joey. I really hope we can find a solution to this. I have also found these topics where I posted as well:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_power&message.id=40739
    and
    http://hardware.mcse.ms/message296565.html

Please help with any information possible.

Here's what I posted:
    =============
    My new e1505 freezes as well! Except it does it very rarely and only when I close the lid and open it back up.

It seems like the driver that controls the monitor state while closing or opening the monitor makes the computer freeze. No combinations of keys work either, like Fn-F2, F3, F8, etc.

At this point it's happened to me 4-5 times in a couple of days, and one time when I was in the middle of reinstalling windows, which makes me wonder how the hell that's possible, although theoretically the same driver can be already in use by the windows installation program in the stage where it shows 39 min left till completion.

Otherwise I'm absolutely in love with the laptop, but this is really, really making me reconsider it.. I hope somebody will find a solution.
    =============

11. Archon810

well, i was able to reproduce the problem 25 times today by closing and opening. will be ordering a replacement tomorrow from dell, we'll see if new hardware solves this...

12. Archon810

Here's a video I took of showing the open/close screen crash bug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMB2AGey6I

It took 3-4 times this time, sometimes it just takes 1...

13. ashu_30

ashu_30 Newbie

Hello
    I bought this laptop 2 weeks back with teh 599 deal. Its a 1505 with 40GB and 512MB ram. I have had no problems with it. Closing the screen and opening it 10 times and doesn't freeze. I have left it on today to see if I run into freeze problems after a few hours.

Looks like individual laptop problems to me.

thanks
    Ashu

14. astros_fan

astros_fan Newbie

I just received mine yesterday. I was wondering how much space was available on yall's laptop when you received it. Mine is 80 gb, but it's showing 68.4 gb of total space and 60.3 gb of free space.

15. Archon810

get a program like Partition Magic and erase and merge with C: the partition that Dell sets for some **** (5GB). That should do the trick.

16. earthling

earthling Newbie

I get at least 5.5 hours of battery life with a 9-cell for my 1505 with wi-fi on and screen brightness set at 3. I am quite sure I can push it to 6 hours if required.

Also, about the screen freezing ... that happened to me once when I was shutting down windows and closed the screen down as it was still shutting down. I found out that the the default had been set to hibernate when you close the screen. I changed it to "do nothing" when you close the lid/screen and I have not had a problem since.

And has anyone tried reinstalling windows from the disc that dell gives you?? I got the Media Center backup disc but have been afraid to do a clean install with the fear that I might lose some of the useful software that comes with the laptop. But the hidden malware has begun to get on my nerves. Any suggestions anyone?

17. Notebooknovice

Notebooknovice Newbie

I've had that hibernation problem with every notebook/computer I've owned (4 different computers). I think it is a problem with Windows XP and is not hardware related. It looks like the computer just won't "wake."

I should be getting my e1505 today. I'll let you all know if I run into any problems with it.

18. Notebooknovice

Notebooknovice Newbie

Wow-

I reinstalled windows, assuming that Dell had put all the right drivers on the factory disc. I was dead wrong. It had only about half the drivers. The video drivers it came with were not even close to being right- it had NO radeon x1400 drivers AT ALL. :mad: The way Dell includes its drivers is annoying too, you can't just let windows install it- you have to actually click on each individual driver to install it. It is also not always clear which driver should be installed...

I went to Dell's website, downloaded all the drivers, reinstalled windows (again), then reinstalled the drivers manually. Things are "stable" at the moment.

I had to mess with the wireless settings for a very long time as this notebook apparently interferes with my wife's notebok's wireless card. It took me a while to figure out that this was the case (I could connect one computer or the other to the router, but when I tried to connect both, neither would connect). I've had many computers in the past connect to this router with NO problem at all. It was the Dell that caused this problem.

I've made three desktop computers from scratch and (pretty much) did a notebook from scratch. I've never had to do this much to get something working right. I THINK I have it down now though. We'll see what happens when I start loading more software on it (I already had a firewall program blue screen it several times). I finally got it to a point where I didn't have all the annoying Dell software on it though- which I am happy about.

-NBN

19. Heffer

Heffer Newbie

After getting past the stupid videos put up there, YouTube can bring a do a lot of good for the consumer.

It'll be great to show customer service reps that something doesn't work.

20. Archon810

actually, the problem has been solved. read the dell forum link where I posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.