Dell Inspiron 8600 general upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hamonryan, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamonryan

hamonryan Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, im upgrading my dell for the first time and ive never opened a notebook before. I've opened, and upgraded all of my previous desktops so I am not too worried, but I figured I would ask if there was anything I need to worry about. I am adding more RAM, which is nothing, and I am also adding a new hard drive (hitachi 60gb 7200). Anything I need to know when opening up my laptop? I'm not going to fry anything just by touching anything correct? Don't mean to sound ignorant, just covering my a$$. Thanks all.

2. mathlete2001

mathlete2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just make sure to remove the battery to be safe, and otherwise it is the same process as with desktops. Nice choice on the HDD, I did the same two upgrades. Make sure to switch the pin converter from the old HDD to the new one.

* Inspiron 8600c * 1.8ghz Pentium M * 128 MB Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo * 2x512 MB DDR2700 SDRAM * 60GB 7200RPM HDD *

3. hamonryan

hamonryan Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks andrew, yea i've heard good things about this drive. I have a 60 gb drive now, but it only runs at 4200 RPM, which is killing me. Any word on an 80 gb 7200 HDD anytime soon? just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.