Dell Inspiron 7720 SE SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by terzer, Oct 4, 2012.

1. terzer

terzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, soon I'll buy a 120gb SSD for my laptop. I have a few questions.
    Which hard disk bay is primary? Do I have to put the original 1tb hard disk into the second bay, or I can put the SSD into the empty one and it'll act as a primary?
    I'm thinking to buy this SSD OCZ Vertex 3 Low Profile 7mm SATA III 2.5" SSD - OCZ
    What are your opinions?

2. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you plan on using your SSD and have the HDD being cached by an mSata ?
    I don't know if there is such thing as a primary bay, as you can select from which hard drive you want to boot from into the bios. One thing for sure, is that you will either need to clone your HDD to the SDD, hoping you don't have a larger image as we speak on your HDD than the capacity of your new SSD.
    Now, if you plan on installing windows from scratch, i would recommand to put the SSD in Bay-0, the HDD in Bay-1 and use the smart response technology to cache data from your HDD using the mSata port.
    As for the OCZ Vertex 3, i got 2 of those... 120gb also, and they work perfectly.

3. terzer

terzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't have mSata cache drive. I want to install new windows and programs on the ssd and use the hdd for data.
    As for the SSD, I found Vertex 4 with 5 years guarantee, the price is good, so maybe I'll buy it.
    Thanks!

4. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In general I still wouldn't recommend buying an OCZ SSD. Their track record really hasn't been good, and what use a 5-year warranty when you have to replace it every year?

5. Gizzo

Gizzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Rassal,

Does the 17r SE come with a second HDD caddy, or did you have to order one when you added your SSD? I just got the laptop and I'm ready to add a SSD. After reading your posts, it's obvious you have put the time in testing the ins and outs. If you get a chance would you be willing to answer a few questions?

6. Rassal

Rassal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like this is different for everyone. Mine came with a 2nd caddy installed. I read here that some didn't get the 2nd caddy. Some didn't get it and called Dell and got it for free...

Who knows... but i indeed got mine so i am happy about it.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For all dual hard drive bay systems, Dell always includes it, usually in the accessory box. Worst case call up Dell if it's not there and they will overnight it to you.

8. realG

realG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the second caddy installed in my 7720, which was delivered with one 750gb disk. However, the second caddy did not have the screws that hold the disk in place (the caddy is pretty much just a thin metal bracket that wraps around the disk). No big deal, either find similar screws, or use two out of the four screws holding in the original disk.

9. Gizzo

Gizzo Newbie

Reputations:
    I tore it apart and located the caddy. Intel 520 series SSD installed with the 1TB factory HDD in the 2nd slot. What is the process for making the 30g boost the 1TB hard drive now that it's in the second slot? All the drives show up on Intel RTS but there is no options to do anything.

10. Gizzo

Gizzo Newbie

Reputations:
    Update, I read the post regarding setting the BIOS setting to Intel RST, however I get a blue screen when it's on that setting and resorted to AHCI. I swear it was already set to RTS, saving and exiting must have implemented it. Have you had this happen? Could not having the proper driver cause this? Thanks!