Dell Inspiron 7577 - Teardown | Mods & Upgrades | Technical Details | Pics of Internals | Optimizing

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Maleko48, Dec 2, 2017.

?

Which hardware configuration do you have?

1. i5 7300HQ / FHD / GTX1060MQ

24.1%
  2. i7 7700HQ / FHD / GTX1060MQ

51.7%
  3. i7 7700HQ / UHD / GTX1060MQ

24.1%
  1. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Maleko48 can you give me proper steps for installing linux. In my case if I am turning secure boot off,ptt off and raid to ahci; i am unable to boot back to windows in any case however linux is working fine.

Thanks

Edit my bios version is 1.2

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, I can boot into all 3 of my OS's with Secure Boot OFF, PTT OFF, AHCI drive mode. You can try enabling the legacy boot options for traditional MBR/BIOS boot but don't necessarily use them. That was a quirk I discovered when trying to get Win7 to boot though... First I would inspect your current OS installations to find out if you are on a MBR disk or GPT formatted disk. If you are on GPT then you are good. If MBR then I would recommend a complete reinstall from scratch of all OSs on the hard disk.

I also should mention my Linux install has it's own EFI partition where it's bootloader lives by itself (on the same drive as my Windows installations). Try to avoid mixing up boot loaders wherever you can.

3. DoctorRzepa

DoctorRzepa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I'm a 7577 user for a week now. I have done 2 clean installations of Windows 10 and there is one thing that bothers me. Do you also have speakers issue? In my Dell there is something wrong with sound driver as when I pause a video in Youtube (in Mozilla) or pause (not stop) anything from hard drive that has audio (movie, mp3, etc.), speakers don't turn off. These are still being powered and produce a quiet "hiss". I have good ears and it is a little annoying. Are you having this issue too?
    Funny thing is that I reinstalled sound drivers a dozen of times since I got this notebook and 2 installations were actually "successful" - the issue was gone (every pause during playback made speakers powered down and no "hiss" could be heard). But expects those 2 times every installation ended with that issue. I believe I know how to install drivers properly but maybe I am doing something wrong.
    I noticed that issue after first clean installation (Windows automatically installed all drivers and I updated them with the packages from Dell site). I was "playing" with installations - annoying thing was that auto updating by Windows and every time I started Realtek installer, it was first removing old driver, rebooting to proceed and at reboot Windows was updating driver back so Realtek installer could never finish installation. Then I made a roll back to Windows based driver and then it was not updating after reset, Realtek finished installation and everything worked ok. I tried another driver, but it did not satisfied me so I wanted to go back to Realtek - but I could not reproduce "successful" installation (no hiss).
    I installed clean Windows again, this time with no internet connection and installed Dell drivers before Windows updated them - but I could still hear "hiss". After many tries I managed to made another "successfull" installation - this time it was made by starting Realtek installer, letting it to remove old driver and cancelling installation after reboot - Windows updated driver by itself, but this time I got notification that I have to reboot to finish installing sound driver (Windows notification, Realtek installer was cancelled). After reboot it appeared to be "successful".
    I don't know why this happens and why is it so problematic to properly install that driver. I believe it is not hardware issue, because it depends on software and luck(?). Does anybody noticed something similar? Everything is up to date, downloaded from Dell drivers page.
    Please help me.

4. Maleko48

Reputations:
    This is an ongoing, unresolved Windows 10 issue in general, especially with certain Realtek hardware/drivers. Considering the 7577 audio drivers have been in flux since day 1 due to all the complaints, I would not be surprised if it is being caused by a Dell 'fix' they baked into the driver recently to get around the crackling/popping audio issues. This issue is not present on Windows 7. It is a Windows 10 scheduler / driver issue.

DoctorRzepa likes this.
  5. DoctorRzepa

Reputations:
    What a relief. I tought that mine dell is defective. Interesting thing is that i managed to avoid that issue 2 times during installation of these drivers - so it's possible to work it out.
    I tested unsigned driver with Dolby and it sounds much better (expect popping sound). I wonder if there's anyone that could mix those unsigned drivers with stock ones after fix. That would be an ultimate sound driver for me. Even without fix I would love it.

Edit: how about Windows 8.1? Is it better?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Idk about Windows 8... Never ran that OS before personally. Did you see my recent insights into this over on the other main 7577 thread?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/posts/10685472/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. DoctorRzepa

Reputations:
    Actually I don't have any problem with crackling or popping when using Realtek drivers (only unofficial with Dolby produces those). I rarely use my notebook on battery and maybe that's why. Only the "hiss" is a problem for me now. I'm going to try to install Windows 8.1 on USB external drive and see if it works any better. That whole Windows 10 is some nasty mix of bugs and glitches (I'd still use Win7 if it was fully supported).

8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    I am running a full triple boot install myself. Win 10 Win 7 and Ubuntu. They all have their pros and cons.

9. DoctorRzepa

Reputations:
    I checked how sound behaves on Windows 8.1. No issues (expect MaxxAudio saying that hardware is not supported - on Realtek driver), no stuttering. What are cons of Windows 7 on 7577? I started thinking of coming back to it. Best OS i ever used.

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. Maleko48

Reputations:
    The only thing I haven't been able to get working in Win7 is the power button driver for the fingerprint scanner. But I don't think Win7 supports Windows Hello or whatever the automated fingerprint scanning sign in system is called.