Dell Inspiron 7577 - Teardown | Mods & Upgrades | Technical Details | Pics of Internals | Optimizing

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Maleko48, Dec 2, 2017.

?

Which hardware configuration do you have?

1. i5 7300HQ / FHD / GTX1060MQ

28.1%
  2. i7 7700HQ / FHD / GTX1060MQ

48.4%
  3. i7 7700HQ / UHD / GTX1060MQ

23.4%
  1. Emil8x

Emil8x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I am getting banding on this screen as well. Did you find a solution by any chance?

2. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper Newbie

Reputations:
    No, but after tweaking color profile a bit more I managed to get smoother gradients without significant banding. But angle of view changes tone dramatically so tweaking is hard and pretty pointless anyway imo. Here is the smoother icm color profile for N156HHE-GA1 I'm using right now.

Emil8x likes this.
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same panel I covered here?

The ICC is in the description calibration via Spyder5 Pro.

dnnkeeper likes this.
  4. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for profile! I was looking for it a while ago. But if I'm not mistaken this panel factory calibration varies too much to use same profile everywhere. I'm getting better results with my own profile (judging by CLTest pattern uniformity) but it's interesting to compare them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Emil8x

Reputations:
    @B0B

Thanks for the profile. I tested it and it does ease the banding a bit but does not remove it completely. I tested the one from Bob as well and it does show banding too. Here are my results:

Your profile:
    IMG_1180.jpeg

Bob: Bob.jpeg

No profile loaded:
    me.jpeg

As you can see, all situations leave thick vertical lines mostly on the top gradients. The last option would be my best setting for now as it does give me pink-ish lines unlike your profile and Bob's. I am using the latest Intel GPU drivers from Dell and Nvidia, I don't understand why this is happening.

For info, I manage to not get banding at all sometimes if I disable Windows color management, set my Nvidia control panel setting's preferred GPU to Integrated graphics and disable Windows Night Light. This works relatively well except with some games (battlefront II and project cars 2). This only works for when it's plugged in though, not on battery.

Do you mind sharing a photo of what you see on this page (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php), just to have an idea if we are dealing with the same issue?

Thanks
    Emil

6. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper Newbie

Reputations:
    Here you go. You can clearly see that default calibration is smoother on gradients but obviously toned in CLTest pattern. After calibration I'm getting more consistent CLTest patterns but some minor color banding in midtones but not so obviously visible as in your examples. Also I couldn't capture gradients from screen with all its brightness range on my phone (note 8), so bear in mind that either my camera is not sensitive enough either your screen is too bright.

ADDED:
    Here is the great example that we can't get colors right on this panel due to dramatic angle color variation: http://www.madore.org/~david/misc/color/gammatest.png What's more is the colors changes in battery mode adjusting to picture (maybe some windows or drivers magic)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Emil8x

Reputations:
    Thanks! It seems you are getting a lot less banding than me or it's a different kind of banding. There's an utility to force the screen to show all gradations of luminance (0-255 instead of 16-255), maybe it can help you. It's the fourth solution of this page: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/.

There's also the possibility to modify the screen's EDID (screen settings) using CRU utility. You can modify the color space and add HDR support, plus other settings. I will gather more info about it and try it. It looks like the most promising fix for now.

Finally there's a software called DisplayCal that manages the screens colors better than the default Windows color manager "apparently". It worked for a while for me but then the banding re-appeared. It might work for your case though.

Best, Emil

8. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd like to install an OLED panel on this device but haven't found any of them available yet, only G7 OLED announcement from CES 2019. I would happily spend up to $200 for such an upgrade.

9. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Won’t work. The lid assembly the display sits into is completely different

dnnkeeper likes this.
  10. Rowan

Rowan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Moved to the other thread.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019