Dell Inspiron 7559

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by Xathos, Oct 3, 2015.

1. DasPez

DasPez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice! The recovery tool is working! Unfortunately not on my laptop. I replaced the HDD with an SSD and dualbooted linux, probably breaking this feature. There should be a bios backup in my EFI partition (created on every bios update), but there isn't. I re-flashed bios 1.2.3 two times, still no backup. There is the strange "simply boot" behavior when I release ctrl+esc after 30s. Releasing it after 4s results in the 3:3 "no backup found" LED pattern... I can't start flashing before this is fixed.

Yes, that would be my guess. It is enabled, seen in MEInfo.exe. So we need access to all flash regions to modify the security settings using Intels Flash Image Tool...

Things on my mind:
    • if the bios backup on the efi partition is 12mb : copy it and mod it with the Flash Image Tool - the efi partition can be mounted using diskpart, the explorer wont be able to open it - powershell is the way to go! flash it using the flash utility in the boot manager (press F12 when booting)
    or
    • extract the 12mb bios from the Inspiron_7559_1.2.3.EXE using
      Code:
      .\Inspiron_7559_1.2.3.EXE /writeromfile
      then mod it with Flash Image Tool and flash it using the flash utility in the boot manager (press F12 when booting) - the file can't be opened by the tool yet, maybe its encapsulated or something...
    or
    • a pin mod!
    This is getting tough ...

2. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's looking promissing. I have the full 12mb bios file that I extracted from the EXE, but it's a ROM file and FIT asks for BIN or XML. Do you know what to do?

When I get to that point, what exactly I'll have to modify in the file?

BIOS Config Lock ?
    Host Read Access to ME ?
    Host Write Access to ME ?

Protect BIOS Environment ?
    Measured Boot ?
    Verified Boot ?

And what is this flash utility of the boot manager? It comes with the bios? Never noticed... Gonna reboot now to see...

EDIT: Is it "BIOS Flash Update" under Other options?

And how we gonna get access the all flash regions? Flashing the modified 12mb full bios over flash utility will do the trick?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. DasPez

Reputations:
    .rom and .bin can be renamed to each other. There will still be an error when you try to open it in FIT. These flash images from the website are diffrent from the flash dumps created by FPT or AFUWIN, I think.

If we ever get to that point? Trial and error.

I noticed when ever a official bios update is started, my wlan gets disabled - maybe they use AFUWIN in the background - after that, it reboots to a flash utility in the bios and "writes the main block".
    Maybe that utility has elevated permissions.

But that sounds dangerous - the bios recovery tool may be damaged at last...

4. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    What was the usb bios programmer that you used to unbrick your laptop?
    I need to buy one so I can backup my bios, unlock flash regions, etc.

Can you tell me which one of these is compatible? Maybe both?
    http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...ch341a-eprom-bios-24xx-25xx-soic8-150-mil-_JM
    http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...usb-flash-eprom-spi-bios-series-24xx-25xx-_JM

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. DasPez

Reputations:
    There are two separate chips on the motherboard:
    Code:
    --- Flash Devices Found ---
            W25Q32BV        ID:0xEF4016     Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

W25Q64BV        ID:0xEF4017     Size: 8192KB (65536Kb)

I bricked my laptop by modifying the bios region which corresponds to the W25Q64BV.
    This chip is located in the area beneath the m.2 slot. To get there, I had to disassemble the whole thing.

Your first link looks identical to my device. My CH341a was too weak for in circuit usage. You need to plug the battery in the motherboard to even read the full 8192KB. A "soic-8 sop-8 clip" is needed, soldering will be necessary otherwise.

But you have full access to the W25Q64BV anyway...
    You want the W25Q32BV. I don't remember where it's located and can't guarantee that the CH341a can even read it.

Here is the official service manual. Makes taking things apart easier.
    http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15-7559-laptop_service manual_en-us.pdf

The motherboard upside down:
    7559_bios_me.jpg

6. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    You mean this adapter?
    [​IMG]

Let me see if I get this right... I'll have to unsolder the chip from the motherboard and attach it to the spi programmer?
    With the adapter I'll be able to attach the chip to the spi programmer without soldering? Or the adapter let me do everthing without even removing the chip from the board? (EDIT: forget about this last question, I saw some photos, it's not possible to do this without unsoldering the chip from the motherboard...)
    Sorry about the questions, I never mess with this kind of thing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  7. DasPez

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Soic-8 Sop-8 test clip can be used for "in circuit programming". No solderinig required. The problem is that you need a powerful SPI programmer. Electrical loads that are connected to a pin consume power from the programmer - sometimes not enough power is left for the pin to be high.
    high == 1 == Vdd (+3.3V or +5V)
    low == 0 == Vss (~0V)
    That's why I had to plug the battery into the bare motherboard. Unsoldering the chip would solve those problems but requires a lot of skill.

8. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I need.... I don't wanna have to unsolder the chip from the motherboard, not enough skills either lol...
    I already found it...
    http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...lip-soic8-sop8-soic8-cabinhosoicreforcado-_JM

Btw, I'm pretty sure I need access to chip W25Q32BV.
    That's where those security settings are... Boot Guard, Verified Boot, Bios Lock etc...
    I think I only need to disable Verified Boot and I'm good to go, because as far as I know, this is the mechanism that prevents to boot with a modified bios.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  9. Joseph Cimafranca

Joseph Cimafranca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My inspiron 7559 wont turn on. I have tried taking off the battery and pressing the power button for 30-60 seconds then plugging the ac adapter without the battery. Still not turning on. Please help!

10. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    No life signal whatsoever? Led blinking? Maybe the motherboard is gone... :/