Dell Inspiron 7559

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Xathos, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasPez

DasPez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The EFI shell can be used to unlock the ME region in some cases.
    Found here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-dell-precision-m6800-m4800-sbios-mod.788481/
    Our BIOS is based on AMI Aptio V, maybe that's why the EFI Shell doesn't work.

Another place with laptop-bios-modding people

2. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, I saw this guide a couple of days ago. Btw I've searched on a bios backup that I have and found most of those options under "List of variables" and their corresponding variable codes.
    Then I booted on EFI shell but no matter what I type I got the error "offset is out of range". I wonder if there is any EFI shell that supports aptio V... Or maybe something more needs to be unlocked, like using that method of the video...
    I was so hopeful to find a solution to this, but it's becoming more and more chalenging...

3. DasPez

Reputations:
    How did you search for those offsets ( 0x73F etc. )? What EFI shell are you using? I'll try to reproduce your errors

4. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    @DasPez I'm trying another approach here. I managed to backup my current bios with AFUWIN and changed the Hot plug variable to "enabled" with AMIBCP, saving the modified rom with another name.

I'm really considering flashing it with FPTW64 but I'm afraid to happen the same as happened to you. A bricked device...

Although the modification you did to you your rom was a little bit more complex, so maybe you bricked yours because of the unlocked vBIOS.

Either way, do you know if I can recover BIOS using the builtin "BIOS Recovery Tool" from Dell? (I already checked and our notebook is supported, you just need to press ctrl+esc while plugging the AC adapter and wait a few seconds).

More info about the Bios Recovery Tool here: http://www.dell.com/support/article...e-recuperação-de-bios-em-um-pc-ou-tablet-dell

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  5. DasPez

Reputations:
    What size is your AFUWIN backup? 8192KB? That would mean it only includes the bios region without ME. A bios only backup is possible with FPTW64 too.
    Code:
    > .\FPTW64.exe -d bios.rom -bios

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version:  11.0.15.1000
    Copyright (c) 2007 - 2016, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
            W25Q32BV        ID:0xEF4016     Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)

W25Q64BV        ID:0xEF4017     Size: 8192KB (65536Kb)

- Reading Flash [0x0C00000]  8192KB of  8192KB - 100 percent complete.
    Writing flash contents to file "bios.rom"...

Memory Dump Complete
    FPT Operation Successful.
    Just because I don't like AFUWIN, it crashes my wlan on bios dumps...

It could be possible that replacing option roms in MMTOOL breaks the factory signature and flipping a Boolean in AMIBCP dosen't... But I don't know.
    I just noticed the "BIOS recovery from hard drive" option - must be a feature of the later versions. When my laptop was bricked, the dell support said it doesn't support bios recovery...

This feature could accelerate the bios modding progress! Maybe we can try it out with a clean unmodified bios dump.

6. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    Yes, it's an 8mb bios. I will probably try this later today when I get home.

About the Bios Recovery Tool, I was just wondering if I could use it to recover the stock bios in case something goes wrong with the FPT flashing.

7. DasPez

Reputations:
    I renamed the Inspiron_7559_1.2.3.EXE to BIOS_IMG.rcv and copied it to a FAT32 usb drive. The video said this will only work with OptiPlex, Latitude, XPS and Precision devices.
    When I press ctrl+esc while plugging in the AC my laptop simply boots windows. Maybe the recovery tool checks the current bios before flashing and decides to keep the working version.
    Or we need to contact the support for the right bios_img for our Inspiron. With no recovery medium plugged in the recovery tool stops the boot process and makes the LED beneath the touchpad blink in a 3:3 pattern, just as expected.

8. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    In my experience I sucessfully ran the recovery tool (no usb attached). But I had to keep the keys pressed a long time (around 30 seconds) after plugging the AC. Nevertheless, the pc remained turned off until a released the keys but then I saw the recovery screen with 3 options to choose. I'm gonna repeat this when I get home, just to make sure how to enter in recovery. But you should try again, it's definitely there and doesn't need an external usb to load.

Which FPT should I use? Just tried one that gave me error 201

Code:
    Error 201: [FPTw64.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
    Please contact your vendor.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  9. DasPez

Reputations:
    Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r9

10. Fernando Pena

Reputations:
    Yep. I used that one earlier today and it flashed just fine with no errors. Then I saved the bios with AFUWIN, just to make sure the change was made, and it did worked.

But when I rebooted the system, it refused to boot leading me to the "BIOS Recovery Tool" forcing me to recover the bios, otherwise it wouldn't boot.

Then I recovered the bios using the tool and the system booted normally, reverting the change that I made.

This is probably "Verified Boot" fault, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.