Dell Inspiron 7559

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Xathos, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cq842000

cq842000 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So has anyone found a way to reverse engineer the bios on the dgpu in order to overclock further? My temps stay well below what is normal even with a good overclock (+135/485) (ASIC quality of 88.6). I'm not giving specifics because I have no intention of bragging until I have some results worth bragging about.

Okay, well it isnt super amazing or anything but the GPU idles at 34°C and after two or more hours of 4k gaming the highest it's ever been was 65°C with an ambient temp of 76°F. I can see that further modding the back panel could help to even further drop the temps, but for right now I have 5°-10°C room for more overclocking before reaching thermal saturation under high load scenarios.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 Took me long enough

Reputations:
    Someone over at the TechInferno forums asked for the vBIOS to be modded but one of the mods cautioned that the laptop bricks because of secure boot. Not sure if it was here too where someone flashed and bricked his 7559. I remember he had to directly tap into the bios chip to flash the proper bios back.

Not really worth the risk for now but if someone figures out a less risky way, then I'm all ears. I also don't go above 65-67C without any throttling (after repasting--it was around 72C tops before).

cq842000 likes this.
  3. cq842000

Reputations:
    Alright, thank you for the informative response. Like you said, I hope some greater mind prevails at this task and develops a safer way to do things.

As for secureboot, can it be disabled without running legacy CMOS support? Well, nvm it would have to use a different optionrom.

Yeah the two biggest mods are going dual channel since the igpu/dgpu are MUXed, and since the igpu has to directly access the system RAM versus having dedicated frame buffer, the available bandwidth makes a much larger difference than it would with a traditional dgpu only setup.Dual channel and high bandwidth really wake this modest gamer up.

Also repasting is an excellent start because again like you said it helps tremendously. The paste job from the factory was barely adequate due to being slopped on there in heaps. The guys with the MSI lappys with the gtx960m have no problem getting into the bios and overclocking quite a bit further, but the trade off is that the Dell has far superior cooling. So it's kind of a catch 22.

4. cq842000

Reputations:
    What about fan control, have we figured that out yet? Or what about RAID 0 between an M.2 SSD and a SATA SSD of the same size? From my understanding, even software RAID is superior to no RAID.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. Rowan

Rowan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had a couple keys come off my keyboard since I received this thing in February after those keys started to get a spongy feeling when typing. Dell is refusing to cover this at all saying it's not an internal problem causing the keyboard not to function properly so my only option is to contact their "Out of Warranty" department since to them. This is the quote from them "I'm pleased to inform you that Dell has a specialized authorized department that takes care of the cases which involve physical/accidental damage, Cosmetic wear and tear or where the parts need to be replaced when there is no Complete Care Cover active on the system.It's Out Of Warranty Repair department."....

Other keys are getting that spongy feeling now especially ones in the middle and at times it makes it harder to press them when I'm trying to type a paragraph in a post like this. I've had keyboards on other laptops from them replaced for keys coming off and not being able to get them back on in the past even my last one right before the warranty went out a couple years ago. They are acting like a keyboard isn't an integral part a person needs for their laptop or desktop to function properly. I'm so frustrated.

6. cq842000

Reputations:
    Yeah that's crazy, and I'm sorry they are treating you like this. On the brighter side, the keyboard assembly is a cheap and easy fix. Eventually you'll get a good one, though this is more of a band-aid to a systemic flaw in the way the keyboard is mounted. I plan to affix an aluminum plate of 1mm-2mm thickness to the back of mine to give it some rigidity. Should be an easy mod. The flex causes offsets of unequal pressure on the keys themselves and over time causes undue wear and premature failure.

I'll do the mod next month and tell you if there is improvement. It should be as simple as tracing the outline on an Aluminum plate, measure twice, cut once, and use some spray on adhesive, cure for a couple of hours then post my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...oar.TRS0&_nkw=inspiron+7559+keyboard&_sacat=0

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Rowan likes this.
  7. Rowan

Rowan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link to keyboards on ebay. Dell is acting like I'm demanding a replacement laptop and not an inexpensive keyboard. I'm continuing to press it with them because I didn't do anything to cause these keys to come off. This is their latest reply that I got about 20 minutes ago "Unfortunately, missing keys (keys that have popped out or fallen off) are typically due to some outside force, accidental damage, misuse, abuse by the customers, or other Customer Induced Damage, and therefore not covered by Dell's Limited Hardware Warranty."....

cq842000 likes this.
  8. kisetsu17

Reputations:
    You kinda lost me here heheheheh
    That's actually what I'm also trying to figure out. From what I've observed, my repaste let me go from 80C gaming temps to around 73C max on CPU for processing-intensive games, but never really lower unless I use one of those vacuum-type cooling fans (I swear by Opolar's stuff). Has to do with the fan curve, but the laptop itself I'm sure would be capable of keeping temps at low 60s when gaming. This is what's holding me back from repasting with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal pastes--saw people at the Alienware forums getting sub-60 gaming temps, but they do have customizable fan profiles.

Would be extra happy with this laptop if we can crank up the clocks and maximize its potential. Oh well.

9. Inkstorm

Inkstorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, had some misfortune where someone knocked my bag off the table and my screen got cracked. The cracked screen is a BOE that originally came with the laptop. As of now, I'm looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade it like y'all have.

Most of the switches I've seen include the LG LPT156WF6-SPB1 or either Samsung's HL06 and HL02. I'm a little lost at the implication's of the HL06 being 8-bit and the LP's lower response time. Also, it seems that only the LP shares the exact same connector pin as the stock BOE.
    http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=25578,24666,24407,24180

Does anyone have advice on where to order them or if they need mention a Dell part number (like C3MWM)?

10. kisetsu17

Reputations:
    From my experience, the HL06 is great with colors but suffers from more lag compared to the BOE (and also the SPB1, but I got a slightly defective one that I needed to send back for refund). It's noticable when you play high speed games like Overwatch, but I've learned to get over it.

For the part numbers, you only need to provide the LCD model numbers. Thats pretty much what it is already. Just make sure you ask for the exact model and not a replacement (one seller sent me an HL02-201 disguised as an HL06, stickers and all--make sure the model number is *printed* onto the back).

Also note that the SPB1 is LP156WF6 (without the T).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.