Dell Inspiron 7559

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Xathos, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manuelant

manuelant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Gofspar

Gofspar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Tensai47

Tensai47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wat's dat?

4. Tensai47

Reputations:
    Has anyone successfully installed ubuntu?

5. DasPez

DasPez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm running ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.7 rc4 - the power management is getting better, but sometimes its impossible to awake from standby or the CPU gets stuck while shutting down and I have to press the power button for 5 seconds - but those are the only bugs so far ... I used the nomodeset flag to boot the live USB because it froze without it - maybe thats already fixed idk

6. Tensai47

Reputations:
    I am having trouble installing it. It takes very long before the installer displays ( I mean like, I never got in to the installers menu ). And while I see the logs while unpacking the installer, it says, "nmi watchdog bug soft lockup"

7. DasPez

DasPez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cant exactly remember how i managed to install it. Can you enter Grub? There should be something like " try Ubuntu". Highlight it and press "e". Now disable nouveau. You should be able to install it from within Ubuntu.

8. LLStarks

LLStarks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this laptop a good upgrade from the Inspiron 7520? Or should I look elsewhere?

9. Tensai47

Reputations:
    Where did you get the instruction for installing? Is this the one? https://gist.github.com/hemenkapadia/630aef11a8ea51286777

10. Hypnotoad72

Hypnotoad72 Newbie

Reputations:
    That happened to me as well, I have the same i7 model as well. I ultimately returned the model, making a decision later after doing more research and that's when I saw your post. It's possible the heatsink isn't on evenly or tight enough. If you didn't go for a refund, maybe trying to get a warranty exchange from Dell, citing the temperature spike issue. But I would not recommend taking apart the computer and voiding the warranty in the process. I used to repair laptops, they are a real chore to get to the heatsink...

I also wonder if there's a general defect with this temperature spike, but as more people would have seen and reported the same problem, this could be just an individual hiccup than something across the board -- in which case I'd then think a firmware/BIOS update on the fan controller to activate sooner to prevent the spike, as once the fans are going the temps being in the 75-80 range are excellent for the small form factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.