Dell Inspiron 5577 Questions

Discussion in 'Dell' started by wellhung, May 3, 2017.

1. Nic727

Nic727 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Other than the better graphic card than the 7559 (that I have), did they improve the IPS display or it's the same with no accurate colors?

Thank you

2. wellhung

wellhung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The original base configuration is a TN panel, which isn't good for color accuracy. But according to Amazon.com Dell rep, that has changed to an IPS display. And I confirmed it through the support chat on Facebook.

Too bad for me, but great for future owners.

Are you sure your current laptop has an IPS panel, I was under the impression all the old 5000 and 7000 base configurations have TN panels.

3. Nic727

Nic727 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My bad... You are right. But someone has a test result for color accuracy?
    Maybe it will be my next laptop in a couple of year (if they keep a good display for the future).

4. wellhung

Reputations:
    Not sure myself on how to do that. So no one else on this forum has this laptop yet? :p

5. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now i have two of these laptops, but just on paper. The Australian post does not seems to rerouting to Europe the one which went there by a stupid's mistake, so i purchased a second yesterday, which still needs to ship within USA, than forward here to Europe. So at least two more weeks...

6. JKnows

Reputations:
    The laptop has finally arrived. This is the second that I ordered, the first one is still in Australia. Australian post really stupid, even if I writing them, they do not understand that the package was sent to Austria. They keep trying to deliver in Australia.

So the laptop:
    Optically it is exactly same as the older model 7559, expect the red keyboard. I do not like it, i will flip-in the light blue keyboard from the 7559. Fan noise seems louder, but right now I'm doing undervolting with Throttlestop and I think it will lower the fans speed. Windows 7 Prof X64 is installed, I have found drivers for everything. Memory switched to 2x8GB 2400MHZ CL14 Kingstone. 250GB Msata SSD also inserted. I'll update soon with a 3DMark 11 score!

Update 1:
    The first test run, seems quite pretty. The 1050M is significantly stronger than the predecessor 960M, while the i5-7300HQ is 2000 points weaker than the I7-6700HQ. I guess this difference only because the lack of Hyper Threading in i5, but in games it will be similarly fast.
    [​IMG]
    Update 2:
    Throttlestop do wonders for I5-7300HQ too. I undervolted the CPU core, Cache, IGP and System agent by 100mw. The system is now consuming significantly less power, the fans working on lower speeds or not at all at idle. Note I could apply also -170mw for cpu core and cache and was stable running Prime 95 at full CPU speed, but at lower frequency the computer crashed. So i figured the -100mw will be the stable for all time.
    [​IMG]

Update 3:
    Overclocking Nvidia Geforce 1050M. So i checked NvidiaInspector and I realized there is no overclocking barrier. I could increase GPU frequency by 200MHz and the Memory by 250MHz. GPU performance score increased by 800 points. I'll check later what does it means in games.
    [​IMG]
    Update 4:
    Memory card reader is significantly slower than in Inspiron 7559? I remember CrystalDiskMark measured me 90MB/sec with the same SD card, now only 26MB/sec. It is bad, looking forward to exchange this internal device too.
    [​IMG]

Update 4.1:
    It is not possible to change the SD card reader between the two models, because they are integrated to the motherboards.

Update 5:
    I changed the keyboards between the two models. The light blue from the 7559 model more stylish and not irritating.
    [​IMG]

Update 6:
    GTA V running terrible. The benchmark measure 50FPS, which about 16 more FPS than with 960M, however that 50FPS feels like 5-10FPS. The Nvidia 960M with 34FPS was absolutely smooth.

Update 6.1:
    For GTA V in the Nvidia's control panel I had to choose consistent performance and the game now is smooth. Additionally I disabled CPU turbo in Throttlestop, turned on Vsync at half in the game's menu and the game is now butterfly smooth, the laptop stays quiet.

Update 6.2:
    Because the CPU is plenty powerful for the Geforce 1050 mobile, it is good idea to disable the CPU Turbo for every game. Less heat created = more enjoyment. I'm playing now GTA IV, so smooth everything turned to maximum...

Update 7:
    I switched my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB m.2 SSD to Samsung 960 EVO 250GB Pcie SSD. In everyday use i don't really notice speed difference between the two SSD, but the benchmarks does!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    wellhung likes this.
  7. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Freaqin Australian post, it wasn't just bad for you, but we also could have seen earlier your review. Awesome scores, please keep up with updates! It is especially so interested you could overclock the geforce 1050 by such a big margin. Any noticable FPS increase in games?

8. 3g6

3g6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I could not wait after what I have seen, now it is in my hands! +an Original Dell Windows 7 installation disc, Samsung 960EVO SSD, AU OPTRONICS B156HAN01.2 Screen for replace the original.

[​IMG]

9. wellhung

Reputations:
    Thanks for the updates! Is it safe to copy your config for mine? Like in yours the BD PROCH0T is unchecked while mine is by default. Your SpeedShift is checked, mine is off by default.

10. JKnows

Reputations:
    I would not use others safe voltage, but as an approximately position.