Dell Inspiron 17 7000, Dell Latitude 3590 BTX, or Lenovo Thinkpad 3590 BTX?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mcjmie, Sep 13, 2018.

?

Dell Inspiron, Dell Latitude, or Lenovo Thinkpad?

1. Inspiron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Latitude

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Thinkpad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcjmie

mcjmie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers me some advice!

*Edited to add: I'm not necessarily tied to the machines listed, if anyone has other suggestions. I just know I don't like the Asus Vivobook keyboard feel at all!*

I current have a Toshiba Satellite L775, 17.3". It needs replacing after many years of loyal service.

I know the laptops in the thread title are all fairly different, but they all can be equipped with similar specs so I'm having a hard time choosing between them. Also, I may be overlooking another brand/model, so feel free to let me know.

The specs I want are:
    SSD with at least 256 GB
    8 GB RAM minimum, expandable to 16 or 32 preferably.
    Intel Core i7-8550U Processor
    Discrete graphics card if possible (not a dealbreaker necessarily)

I was looking at the Lenovo ThinkPad E580 - 15.6". I saw it in a store and loved the screen. Maybe it's a matte screen? Not sure. But then the Dell Latitude 3590 BTX 15.6" has the same specs but comes with a discrete AMD Radeon(TM) 530 Graphics card. So that seems to be better?

However, I don't necessarily need a business laptop. I am self-employed so won't be switching out components, and won't be carrying the machine around a lot (risking dropping or bumping).

THEN I happened upon a sale on the Dell Inspiron 17 7000, which is a 17" laptop with a 512 GB SSD (!) and a NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 with 2GB GDDR5 graphics memory. That seems to blow the Thinkpad and Latitude out of the water. The Inspiron is on sale in Canada this week for over $300 off the regular price (part of me is wondering why, LOL). My main issue is that the reviews I've seen online criticize the screen a bit - citing a somewhat cloudy display. The latest model (Inspiron 17 7773 I believe) may have upgraded its screen though. Anyone know about this? It's a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet with a touch screen, which I may never use in fact, but it's a nice feature I suppose!

Other than that, here are my basic requirements:

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Around $1,400-$1800 CAD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement; 15.6" to 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: Don't like the keyboard on the Asus Vivobook at all.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Prefer new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Running heavy translation software, communicating with servers, having multiple browser windows open along with Word, PowerPoint or Excel docs (all at the same time). Occasional video editing as well using Lightworks or similar software.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I sometimes travel for work, in which case I take my notebook with me but then plunk it down on the desk and don't move it. Hence my penchant for a 17" laptop. But I'd settle for 15.6" if that's a better option. I usually connect it to another monitor (could even use two with the right dock I suppose) in which case 15.6" would be ok. I say that with hesitation as I'm used to my old Toshiba 17 incher!

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No games. I have a PS4 for that! :)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Decent amount, but since it's basically used as a desktop battery life is not my main concern.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Prefer to see them in person but I know that's not always possible.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920 x 1080 at least

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I think matte? But not too picky. Clarity is key - whatever produces less eye strain.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope. As long as it works!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I want a SSD, minimum 256 GB.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    This week I hope!

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Until is dies or I do.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    One or two days.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    My old laptop is still functional so I could use it while I ship the new one for repair. Depends on how much on-site warranty costs.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.