Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition (7520)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lucjuh8, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarky

Sarky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    About 10 degrees when playing Battlefield 4 yes. At idle now (browsing the internet) its hovering between 39 and 44, playing Battlefield its about 80-85 depending on the situation. Previously it would occasionally peak at 94/95 degrees.

The previous thermal paste was beginning to dry up and there was a lot of it on. I have a feeling I haven't put enough on the 7730m because the temperature went up by 5 degrees when fully loaded. I just decided to change the paste whilst I was replacing the screen - which is an amazing upgrade btw.

2. vegetoroxx

vegetoroxx Newbie

Reputations:
    which thermal paste did u use.and can u hook me up to the place from where u bought screen replacement :)

3. Sarky

Sarky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Depends where in the world you're from. I used Arctic Silver MX-2 which I had laying around, and bought the replacement from Laptop Bits

4. yetiboy

yetiboy Newbie

Reputations:
    i've just spent the last hour looking through this thread and dell.com for information on replacing the 32gb mSATA SSD with a bigger capacity drive.

i've read instances of people putting in mSATA drives and them not working.

can someone recommend from personal experience a 128gb (or ideally 240+) that has worked? i know dom used the Micron C400 mSATA (128GB), but i swear i saw somebody else use that and have no success. granted a lot can go wrong with this installation. 240gb would probably be better than 128 though.

many thanks.

5. jmsmuy

jmsmuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Mushkin Atlas 120Gb drive in my msata bay, works like a charm jeje

6. markheath

markheath Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've bought a Crucial M500 480GB SSD and I'm planning to install it into my 15R SE. I'll be doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1 onto it, and then installing all the latest Dell drivers which I've already downloaded from the support site.

Was just wondering if there are any recommendations I should be aware of, such as BIOS settings that need to be changed? I've had a search through this thread, but didn't see anything definitive.

thanks
    Mark

7. yetiboy

yetiboy Newbie

Reputations:
    please let me know how you get on and what you do with regards to the BIOS. i bought a crucial 240 and will be installing it in a couple of weeks also, will report back then.

fwiw i'd probably install windows 8 not 8.1 8.1 is a real swine in my experience with the dual graphics stuff. i spent days trying to fix it but currently i have to run stuff in win8 compatibility mode to get it to switch.

8. doc_stew

doc_stew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone know how to upgrade the wireless card so I can get 5 ghz?

9. jmsmuy

jmsmuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can change the wifi nic for a 5ghz one, the only thing is i dont remember, but i think you can't put a "long one", you need one of the short ones

10. Steve6

Steve6 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an issue with the touchpad. Text highlights by itself, links and web pages open all by themselves, and sometimes as I'm typing the cursor jumps to the line above it or somewhere else on the page. Scrolling is also rough and uneven.

This happened last year before my warranty ran out and I called Dell and they fixed it. Darn it, I forgot exactly how.

Last couple of days I downloaded the updated BIOS and touchpad drivers. No luck. If anything it made it worse.

Any ideas how to fix this before I pay Dell to walk me through this?

Using Windows 8

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.