Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition (7520)

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lucjuh8, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLStarks

LLStarks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would this 60 Whr battery work?

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 battery,97Wh 9 cells replacement Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 battery

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...dellSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=14

It seems to have the same form factor of the 48 Whr battery the laptop comes with.

Dell 48 WHr 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery for Dell Inspiron 15R (5520)/ 15R (7520)/ 17R (5720)/ 17R (7720) / Vostro 3460/ 3560 Laptops : PC Accessories | Dell

A 97 Whr 9 cell was impossible because they stuck out the back and prevented the laptop from opening. Yet that doesn't excuse Dell for not releasing one that jutted out of the bottom.

2. jmsmuy

jmsmuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mmm interesting!
    Was wondering if there wasn't a bigger battery (since this one doesn't last that long)
    If anybody dares to try and order that battery please send us your feedback !! :D

3. LLStarks

LLStarks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Dell-branded OEM part is only $44 on ebay from a reputable seller

Dell Latitude E5420 Laptop Battery Dell Part T54FJ DHT0W 451 1197 Genuine 60WH | eBay

It's never made sense to me why phone batteries are slowly getting better, but laptop batteries have largely been stagnant with the eventual promise of fuel cells. Yet here we see Dell playing around with denser 6-cells instead. The 48WHr is 4400mAh, the 60WHr is 5200mAh.

There's clearly battery life to be gained if it fits and works.

Btw, I just bought this laptop and I pretty sure I made a good choice since I was sick of Nvidia's Linux support and wanted that sweet Dell warranty. If I've made a mistake, please let me know.

4. cervaro

cervaro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would anyone still buy one of these models over the new 7000 series?

5. jojoayan

jojoayan Newbie

Reputations:
    Please help me... I have a year old Inspiron 15R SE running Win 7 with service pack 1. I have the AMD Mobility Catalyst 13.8 beta. I recently saw that the Beta 13.11 has released. So I downloaded and installed it but now it just keeps saying that the AMD driver installed is not compatible. I don't know why!!! I downloaded the one compatible for HD77xxM series... But still it doesn't run!! What do I need to do? Also does the latest Intel HD4000 driver from the intel site work on 15R SE Win7?

6. dialmaster

dialmaster Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got this laptop and so far it is great.
    Wireless reception is good, the laptop stays cool. 3d performance isn't bad for a non-gaming laptop and I have not experienced any problems with the switchable graphics. Performance is pretty much the same as a PC Radeon 5670 HD, although it is better in some cases. I can play pretty much all modern games on medium or high graphics settings (Anisotropic filtering is the killer. Skyrim runs great at 1920x1080 with Anisotropic filtering off and medium settings).
    The only downsides are: Battery -- if you plan on using this unplugged than you will be sad, fortunately that is mostly not the case for me. Weight is high for a laptop, but really 6-7 pounds weighs no more than my cat, so it's not a big deal to me.
    Style-wise I think it looks great. The performance in day to day apps is awesome. I can easily run with 10-12 programs open at once and multiple desktops using VirtuaWin, with 20-30 tabs open in my browser no problem. I would definitely spring for the full 1080p display.

For me this is a total desktop replacement. For a power gamer, you'll want to go elsewhere, but you can't beat it otherwise (unless you really want the sexy/small look of the ultrabooks, but you're sure going to pay a premium for that).

The inclusion of the blu-ray drive is great.

7. bimmerfreak0

bimmerfreak0 Newbie

Reputations:
    About 1 month ago I had to re-install Windows since everything was going haywire. Graphics was going past thermal limits, everything would crash, bluescreens, etc. Re-installed Win 7 from the dell discs and ALMOST everything runs great.

THERE IS NO BACKLIGHTING ON MY KEYBOARD NOW. I have installed and installed and re-installed dell quickset ad infinium and to no avail I cannot get quickset to show a "backlight" option for the keyboard. Obviously the F6 (keyboard backlight for multimedia) doesn't work either.

Has anyone else had this problem? Key input is fine by the way....so I don't think it's a connection issue between the board and the motherboard. Oh, and everytime I hit the "Settings button"(gear cogs) at the upper right to show the quickset option, it says "Error Found! Submit this issue to QuickSet Owner". But nothing beyond that. And everytime it doesn't show an option for backlit keyboard.

Any tips?

8. Sarky

Sarky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is considering upgrading the screen on the Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition to a 1080p and are wondering how, I've put together a mini guide step by step photo preview below :). The original forum thread I made (elsewhere) link is here.

And after a week of using 1080p, I honestly couldn't go back to my old resolution and I don't know how I managed to put up with it for a year. Although I got a newer, lower quality gamut panel (despite being advertised as a 95% gamut), the quality is still very good and viewing angles are amazing, comparable to my Dell IPS. Colours are okay if not a little dull at times, but I'm not too bothered - its a vast improvement.

The fitting process was okay, only issue I ran into was when I booted up the first time there were random lines down the screen and the laptop was unusable - turns out the cable wasn't in properly so had to partially disassemble the whole thing just to wiggle the cable :(

Whilst I was at it, I decided to replace the thermal compound. Temps have dropped about 10 degrees on load for the CPU, graphics card about the same if not slightly higher.

Plenty of pics of the whole process!

Maintenance panel off:

[​IMG]

Keyboard off....

[​IMG]

Palmrest unclipped...

[​IMG]

Old LVDS cable - note only 'HD'

[​IMG]

Motherboard and heatsink:

[​IMG]

The screen weighs the most now;

[​IMG]

Can't believe how small the whole motherboard is despite my feminine hands! This is all on one side of the base, the other side only has space for the DVD drive and a small daughterboard (see above pic, a mSATA SSD can be fitted here on some boards) and thats it. Rest is just wasted space.

[​IMG]

Heatsink and old thermal paste...

[​IMG]

Dodgy thermal paste job.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up! i7 3610QM in the background, AMD 7730M in the foreground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New paste.

[​IMG]

Handy guides for screwing order, at different steps these little arrows were visible or small numbers indicating the order the screws should be done in. I like, very helpful.

[​IMG]

Motherboard installed, something missing though.

[​IMG]

There.

[​IMG]

At this point I realised how messy my deskspace was and how many components I've actually removed just to change the screen. Can't even access the cable for the monitor yet.

[​IMG]

New screen!

[​IMG]

Slightly blurred new screen fitted.

[​IMG]

Cable comparison. Only physical difference is 'FHD' on one, 'HD' on the other.

[​IMG]

Final result. No before pics unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Overall, it wasn't too difficult fitting it. Took me about an hour including disassembling again just to wriggle the cable. Thoughts?

9. jmsmuy

jmsmuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great work!!!
    I have to change my thermal paste sometime in the near future.
    So you say that the temperature went down by 10 degrees?
    That's really a lot!

10. TC03

TC03 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice pics! Can you elaborate on the temperature drop? What are your idle temperatures now? Idle CPU temp for me is 45-50°C (more like 50°C than 45°C though).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.