Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chrishug

chrishug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    IC Diamond 24 Carat Thermal Compound - 4.8 gram - $20.95

IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound - 1.5 gram - $6.95

Think I can get away with using the cheaper one? Especially since I don't think I'll need 4.8 grams of the stuff.

I think I'm going to take my chances on this, especially since you said Intel has made numerous errors on their site before.

2. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've installed 3 to 4 processors and still have some left over from the IC Diamond 7 and if for some odd reason it doesn't work out, you have a 30-day return policy.

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    HDX9000 folks have pinmodded a E0-stepping X9100 to run on their PM965 chipset. Runs cooler than a X9000. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/8125412-post4565.html .

4. chrishug

Reputations:
    Ok, so I ordered the IC Diamond 7 and the T9300. They should both be here in a couple of days. I've read a few different sets of instructions as far as how to apply the IC Diamond 7 goes. Here's what I surmised.

1) After the CPU is seated in the socket, squeeze a 5mm ball of it onto the IHS.
    (I'm guessing they mean 5mm ball on standard sized CPU's. The T9300 looks smaller, so should I use less? Maybe 4mm? Is it ok if some of the IC Diamond 7 bleeds onto the CPU itself?

[​IMG]
    )
    2) Let the ball sit on the IHS for about 10 minutes.

3) Apply the heatsink with approximately 50 pounds of pressure.

4) Start the laptop when finished reassembling so that the IC Diamond 7 can cure over the next two hours.

5) Great success?

5. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
  6. chrishug

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks!

I'll report back when I get this new thing up and running. I also ordered a 7200RPM HDD. I'm hoping I'll see a big difference once I slap both of these pieces of hardware inside.

7. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Oh that's awesome, yeah, let me know!

8. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Nice, helpful thread. I'm a fellow 1520 owner, and although a lot of 1520 owners have probably moved on, I'm glad to see a thread like this. Looking at the upgrade list, my only suggestion would be that I'm pretty sure the optical drive is an IDE connection, and it would be good to mention that in the optical drive section. There's a lot of SATA laptop drives available now, and it would be easy to buy the wrong type by mistake.

9. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Alright man, will do thanks for point it out. I still have my 1520 and have been using it like a monster for the last 2 years.

10. chrishug

Reputations:
    Ok. I installed the new CPU. Here's the weird thing. My windows experience index dropped upon rebooting the laptop with the new CPU. Before it was 4.7 and now it's 2.3 :( Please refer to the images below.

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

CPU-Z analysis. Notice the "Core Speed" on the bottom, 598.5MHz. Why is that so low?....

Also when I looked at the CPU info in the BIOS, it said Minimum speed was like 1.2, current 1.6 and max 2.5. Please give me some feedback on this because I'm a tad worried my unit is bad. Thanks!