Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chrishug

chrishug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome, how would I go about doing that (This is why I'll probably never buy a DELL again)? Also, if a BIOS update was needed but not applied, I'm assuming the new processor would just be under-clocked (as old settings would be applied) correct?

2. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    You'll definitely get a warning message reporting that the CPU is not recognized and a suggestion to press F1 to continue. Apart from that everything should work just fine, but don't quote me on that one. However I don't think that you would want to confirm or reject this theory. Just update your BIOS to A09 (that's the latest version dating back to August 2008 I think). All it takes is a minute or two and a restart to complete. Hope this helped. Good luck!

3. chrishug

Reputations:
    Already running A09. I'm just worried that it won't boot if I upgrade this CPU or it'll underclock the new CPU to what the old CPU is running now (Old CPU is 1.83 GHz, the new one is 2.6GHz).

4. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    No worries. I've just swapped my T7300 for a T9500 and it works like clockwork in 1520 with A09. Tested and confirmed.

5. chrishug

Reputations:
    Thanks! I've seen the error message you speak of, once when I upgraded the RAM. Now the debate, should I buy this CPU new or used. I'm looking on ebay for some possible deals.

6. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    My advice is to get a new one, if possible. Don't go for the cheaper ES or QS versions though, there is a very good chance that they won't work at all or you'll have major problems with getting them to work properly. I've heared of various issues with ES CPUs like for example getting stuck at a clock frequency of 1.2GHz or so. Also make sure that the seller accepts returns in case that you are not satisfied with the product (ES - Engineering Sample, QS - Qualification Sample)

7. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would recommend not even getting the T9500, just get a brand new T9300, you can get a new one for $90 -$100 on eBay. The single and only difference between both is 0.1 GHz, the T9500 is 2.6GHz and the T9300 is 2.5GHz. You are probably not even going to come close to noticing it.

T9300: New & Unused

8. chrishug

Reputations:
    Thanks. I actually submitted an offer for a ES sample, didn't even think of looking into that. I retracted my offer :)

Good idea and a hell of a savings. However, I do have one question for you before I go ahead with this. My current CPU is the T5550. Checking the specs on the Intel website for comparison, I noticed this.

Sockets Supported PPGA478

Now, comparing this to the T9300...

Sockets Supported BGA479, PGA478

Notice there's a "P" missing in the PGA478? Do you think this will be an issue?

Again, I really want to thank you guys for your support. I've barely been here a few hours and I can't believe the support I've already received :)

9. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Glad I could be of help but just know that PGA-478 is the P-Socket CPU, that's the one I bought. You should buy that one and swap yours out, make sure you get IC Diamond for the Thermal Paste.

Edit: The one I linked you up there is a P-Socket CPU, just buy that and you should be fine.

10. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Funny you should say that. I don't think that these specs are correct. What it should have been is namely (FC)PGA(Pin Grid Array) or in other words Socket P. And this isn't even an isolated case. I've found irregularities with the specs on Intel's website not once or twice. Just an example - my current T9500 is an OEM SLAPW and according to Intel it is a (FC)BGA479 (Ball Grid Array) CPU with 479 tiny balls instead of pins. But in reality it isn't. It has 478 gold plated pins which undoubtedly makes it a (FC)PGA478 CPU. As far as I know, the only socket that Inspiron 1520 supports is PGA. Still, I might be wrong, but it's unlikely. But you should certainly get a second opinion.